× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Couple of issues with new Orbi setup! :(

MScott99
Follower

Couple of issues with new Orbi setup! :(

Hello everyone!

Hope your lockdowns are going well!

Long read ahead!

I'm in the UK and our family got fed up of all the Virgin SuperHub3's issues. We decided to throw it into bridge mode and get the RBR50 with two satellites off of amazon as a pack!

Current setup is as follows:

SuperHub3 (Bridge Mode) -> Orbi RBK50 -> Port1) Nighthawk S8000 -> Several Cat5e ethernet sockets around the house AND                                                                                           the 1st RBS50 INDOOR satellite 

-> Port2) Netgear GS305 -> Windows 10 PC, iMac and an HP Printer

-> Port3) 2nd RBS50 INDOOR satellite -> a macbook pro

In terms of wireless devicesthere's 5 iPhones in the house as well as a few Alexa devices and a TiVo box from virgin.

The issues began from setup:

1) The 2nd satellite placed upstairs took a while to 'settle.' It initially setup ok, however soon after it would drop its connection with the router periodically. It was wired to the router directly through probably 40 feet of cat5e cable in the house. It didnt seem to use its ethernet backhaul at all! I reset it and synced it with the router again which seemed to solve the problem. However about 40 mins ago while just checking the routers admin page, several REALTEK SEMICONDUCTOR CORP devices appeared on the network! They all have the MAC address 00:E0:4C:C3:64:02, and there were 7 of them, 4 'connected' to the 2nd satellite and 3 connected to the first. The 3 connected to the first satellie have IP addresses 192.168.1.22/23/24. I have since disconnected the 2nd satellite and will try resetting again later.

2) The router has picked up several DoS attacks originating from random locations around the world. Checked a few of the source IPs using a location checker.

3) The router is not providing full 1000Mbps to all ethernet ports, even though they are ports that would like gigabit speed. I've been reading there is no way to disable QoS services on the orbi. Port 1 is getting 1000Mbps which is the nighthawk switch. Port 2 is getting 100Mbps which is connected to the GS305 switch which has TWO computers on it, hence more than 93Mbps would be good as thats what I get on a speedtest from one of them. Port 3 when connected was getting a dismal 10Mbps! Is there a way to force all ports to provide 1gigabit to the devices on them OR is a 10/100/1000Mbps label in reference to the speeds that the router can provide to the 3 ports at any one time?

Warm regards and many thanks,

M

Model: GS305|Unmanaged Switch, GS808E|Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Advanced 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Couple of issues with new Orbi setup! :(

I would remove all switches from the RBR and directly connect the RBS directly to the RBR to ensure it gets connected well first off. 

There are known problems with managed switches using IGMP and green ethernet protocols. Non manged and non green ethernet switches are recommended for use with Orbi systems and in between the RBR and RBS. 

Connect up 1 wired PC to each of the ports in back of the RBR to ensure the ports are connecting at 1000Mbps rates. All ports on the RBR and RBS support 1000Mbps connection rates. 

@MScott99 wrote:

Hello everyone!

Hope your lockdowns are going well!

Long read ahead!

I'm in the UK and our family got fed up of all the Virgin SuperHub3's issues. We decided to throw it into bridge mode and get the RBR50 with two satellites off of amazon as a pack!

Current setup is as follows:

SuperHub3 (Bridge Mode) -> Orbi RBK50 -> Port1) Nighthawk S8000 -> Several Cat5e ethernet sockets around the house AND                                                                                           the 1st RBS50 INDOOR satellite 

-> Port2) Netgear GS305 -> Windows 10 PC, iMac and an HP Printer

-> Port3) 2nd RBS50 INDOOR satellite -> a macbook pro

In terms of wireless devicesthere's 5 iPhones in the house as well as a few Alexa devices and a TiVo box from virgin.

The issues began from setup:

1) The 2nd satellite placed upstairs took a while to 'settle.' It initially setup ok, however soon after it would drop its connection with the router periodically. It was wired to the router directly through probably 40 feet of cat5e cable in the house. It didnt seem to use its ethernet backhaul at all! I reset it and synced it with the router again which seemed to solve the problem. However about 40 mins ago while just checking the routers admin page, several REALTEK SEMICONDUCTOR CORP devices appeared on the network! They all have the MAC address 00:E0:4C:C3:64:02, and there were 7 of them, 4 'connected' to the 2nd satellite and 3 connected to the first. The 3 connected to the first satellie have IP addresses 192.168.1.22/23/24. I have since disconnected the 2nd satellite and will try resetting again later.

2) The router has picked up several DoS attacks originating from random locations around the world. Checked a few of the source IPs using a location checker.

3) The router is not providing full 1000Mbps to all ethernet ports, even though they are ports that would like gigabit speed. I've been reading there is no way to disable QoS services on the orbi. Port 1 is getting 1000Mbps which is the nighthawk switch. Port 2 is getting 100Mbps which is connected to the GS305 switch which has TWO computers on it, hence more than 93Mbps would be good as thats what I get on a speedtest from one of them. Port 3 when connected was getting a dismal 10Mbps! Is there a way to force all ports to provide 1gigabit to the devices on them OR is a 10/100/1000Mbps label in reference to the speeds that the router can provide to the 3 ports at any one time?

Warm regards and many thanks,

M

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7