Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DC current requirement

abernathy
Aspirant

DC current requirement

I have an RBR20 router and two RBS20 sats. I am also a ham radio operator, so adding stuff with switch mode power supplies, which are RF noisy, is not a good plan. I am going to use 12VDC linear power supplies instead of the SMPS units that come with the routers. Here's the question... the SMPS are rated for 12VDC and 1.5A, which seems like a lot of power for a device of this sort.   Will the router and sat run on a 1A supply?   That would make life a lot easier...  1.5A 12VDC linear wall warts are big and heavy. 

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: DC current requirement

Others have said that NG uses better quality power supplies than other Mfr so this is something to try as well. There is some specs that some devices need so using the default power supply would be recommended. 

I haven't seen any issues with these power supplies an my radio equipment. Smiley Wink

Good Luck. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

The units may or may not run correctly on 1.0A. You would need to test this out since this falls out side the the spec'd rating thats comes with the power supplies. 

You could connect them to a isolated power strip if you can find a good quality strip and can help with this. 

Message 2 of 6
abernathy
Aspirant

Thanks... that's what I assumed but I was hoping to discover the power requirement for the router and sat current input rather than the supply output. For now, I have them running on 1.5A linear supplies because that's the current spec'd on the supplied PSU. 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Others have said that NG uses better quality power supplies than other Mfr so this is something to try as well. There is some specs that some devices need so using the default power supply would be recommended. 

I haven't seen any issues with these power supplies an my radio equipment. Smiley Wink

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 6
abernathy
Aspirant

Thanks... this is a belts and suspenders thing for me. RF noise is a huge problem in my current location, so I replace SMPS by default. Was just trying to figure out if the router/sat really needed 1.5A because those supplies are twice the size of a 1A linear.  

I decided to use 1.5A regulated linear supplies. Three more potential noise sources eliminated for a relatively low cost. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Where did you get these at? Just curious. Glad they are working better for your needs. I do understand about noise and causing problems on the RF side. I live in a area thats not a problem. Smiley Wink

@abernathy wrote:

Thanks... this is a belts and suspenders thing for me. RF noise is a huge problem in my current location, so I replace SMPS by default. Was just trying to figure out if the router/sat really needed 1.5A because those supplies are twice the size of a 1A linear.  

I decided to use 1.5A regulated linear supplies. Three more potential noise sources eliminated for a relatively low cost. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7