Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Devices not connecting to Orbi RBK13 Satellite

BabaOrbi
Aspirant

Devices not connecting to Orbi RBK13 Satellite

Hi,

I recently purchased a NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Mesh WiFi System (RBK13) 1 Router & 2 Satellites. Installed the Orbi app and followed all the steps for setup of this new system. I put one of satellite in on of my bedroom and the other in the basement.

I am not sure why I am not able to connect my devices to the Orbi satellites, I have tried all the options of updating the firmware, syncing up the router and satellites rebooting the route and satellites.

I was hoping when to see that my mobile phone to connect automatically or manually to one of the Orbi satellite placed in the basement bedroom and this is not happening.

The Network map on the Orbi map shows both the satellties and none of the satellite shows any devices connected.

What is the best way of getting the devices connected to satellites?

Have the firmware V2.7.3.22. I have xFinity as my internet service provider and I am using the NETGEAR C6900-100NAR Nighthawk Dual Band AC1900 Cable Modem Router.

The size of the home is 2500 sft, upper floor 1250 sft and the finished basement is of 1000 sft. So the setup i had was the Orbi router placed next to the Modem-Router, One of the satellite in the basement bedroom and the other satelllite placed in between the basement bedroom satellite and the Orbi router.

Thanks

Baba

Message 1 of 3
svetaketu
Luminary

Hi @BabaOrbi,

It is a possibility that the signal strength of the router is strong that your device never needs to look for a node to connect to.

Just for testing purposes, can you power off the router and just leave one satellite powered on. Then see if it connects. Then also do it on the 2nd satellite. If your device connects, then that means that it works.

What you can do next is lower the Transmit Power Control (Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings) and see if your device will now switch between the router and satellites.

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

@svetaketu wrote:

Just for testing purposes, can you power off the router and just leave one satellite powered on. Then see if it connects. Then also do it on the 2nd satellite. If your device connects, then that means that it works.

I have a strong impression that this cannot work.  Once the router is powered off (a) it will no longer respond to connection attempts with an IP address, and (b) there will no longer be a way to reach the internet, resolve URL's with DNS, or much of anything.

By all means, give it a try.  I'd love to be proved wrong.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7