Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Devices not switching between Orbi Router and Satellite

Vanyel
Aspirant

Devices not switching between Orbi Router and Satellite

Hi all,

Pretty much as described in the subject. My android phone, Sony Xperia XZ Premium with Android version 8.0.0, keeps dropping wifi connection when switching between the Orbi Router and Satellite.

When I test the connection using a normal Windows laptop however, i do not experience this dropped connection when switching.

I have upgraded my firmware to V2.1.3.4 but this issue still persists.

To add more context, my router is in AP mode, disabled Daisy-chain, enabled implicit beamforming and MU-MIMO.

Would appreciate it if anyone can help shed some light on why i suddenly experience this issue after more than 3 months of stable wifi.

Thanks.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Does this still happen if you disable beamforming and MIMO or Fast Roaming?

Using any manual channels like 1, 6 ,or 11?

IF your windows laptop doesn't do this, this could a device issue and how they are handling roaming.

Message 2 of 12
Vanyel
Aspirant

Yes the disconnecting still happens even after i disabled beamforming, MIMO and fast roaming, i.e. disabled everything.

The only manual channel is 5ghz (48) which i believe should be for backhaul.

I know my laptop didn't disconnect when switching as i logged onto VPN and checked orbilogin to verify that the laptop's connection changed. Confirmed that the VPN remained connected as my laptop changed from satellite to router and vice versa.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Try enabling Beamforming only.

Might try setting up some IP address reservations and test...

This maybe a device issue rather than a router issue.

Message 4 of 12
Vanyel
Aspirant

Thanks there is no change.

This is really frustrating as i expected, and was probably used to, seamless transition between Orbi router and satellite.

There was another change which might have caused this. I tried to set up a Samsung Connect Home a few days ago to use it as a smart hub. However, it needs to be set up as a wifi hub first. I connected the Connect Home to my Orbi satellite. After the set up, i set the Connect Home to bridge mode and disabled wifi. I noticed that the Orbi satellite was broadcasting the Connect Home wifi network even after i disabled wifi on the Connect Home.

Could this be the reason why my Orbi router and satellite network seems to no longer be in sync?

I have also tried to reset both the Orbi router and satellite but to no avail.

Message 5 of 12
Vorhilion
Guide

Seems like your phone is loosing connectivity before the roaming mechanism triggers (device "issue").

If you want to learn more about roaming : www.versatek.com/blog/...

The upper link include a link to a tutorial which explain how to modify the roaming sensitivity on an android device : www.tp-link.com/us/...

So you can try to modify the roaming parameters of your phone.

Note that I didn't test this myself, so it's at your peril.

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Was this hub working after you got it set up in bridge mode?

Seems like this maybe a problem with this particular device and the Orbi system.

After disabling the Hub, how long did you give the Orbi system to clear out old information. Might log out or reboot the system then log back in to check to see if connected devices information is updated. Be sure to clear all browser caches as well.

Message 7 of 12
Vanyel
Aspirant

Hi thanks for the suggestions. I disconnected the hub from the satellite and the satellite seemed to went back to normal. I did factory reset as well but no change.

I kinda suspect this could be due to Android oreo, as only my handphone is affected while my laptop works fine. I can't really think of any other way to troubleshoot at the moment.

I further notice that in the web browser, I would sometimes see that my satellite is disconnected. This could then return to normal after I refresh the "Attached devices" page. Could be this a symptom of the problem?
Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Happens in IE11 or FF?

How close is the satellite to the router? Ft in between?

Message 9 of 12
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

Switch from Auto to a fixed channel on the 2.4 band. Auto can cause your WiFi to jump from channel to channel, confusing your devices. Router manufacturers want their gear to run right out of the box, so they default the channel to Auto, which is the worst choice. Try channel 1, 6, or 11 to start.

Message 10 of 12
Vanyel
Aspirant

Hi this happens in FF.

The satellite is about 25ft from the router. The led light shows that the connection is fine though, and the backhaul status is usually good (other than those times when it shows disconnected).

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you try the satellite at a farther distance? 25ft maybe too close. Mines about 40 ft. Seems like a good distance. Couple of wall and a roof in between mine. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7