Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Disable DHCP on the ORBI

Michael512
Follower

Disable DHCP on the ORBI

I would like to add a IoT firewall (CUJO) to my network, however they require I disable  DHCP on the ORBI. How do I do that? Or is it even possible? I have the  MAC Addr for the CUJO.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
rhester72
Virtuoso

You can put it into AP mode, which will disable both DHCP and DNS, but that assumes you have some sort of router/edge device sitting in front of it on your network.  At that point, it will act as nothing but a WiFi bridge to your network, assuming all other services are provided by another device.

Rodney

Message 2 of 7

@Michael512 wrote:

I would like to add a IoT firewall (CUJO) to my network, however they require I disable  DHCP on the ORBI. How do I do that? Or is it even possible? I have the  MAC Addr for the CUJO.

before you consider the cujo you might just want to read 

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/33018-cujo-smart-internet-security-firewall-rev...

being fully could based 

CUJO costs $99, which includes a 180 day trial license. After that, you need to pony up $8.99 / month, $26 for three months, $49 for six months or $80 for a year of service. If you're a true CUJO believer, you can opt for a lifetime subscription for $800.

so unless you are willing to fork out $800 for the lifetime subscription they gave you trapped 

the dual nat issues are also a concern 

i just think its prob overkill for a home based solution and expensive and cloud based , if you are concerned by security why would you want your data being read or stored on the cloud 

pete

Message 3 of 7
dpdurst
Luminary

From what I see just untick the box that says use DHCP and your then all static assignments. Seems pretty straight forward on the Orbi

Message 4 of 7

@dpdurst wrote:

From what I see just untick the box that says use DHCP and your then all static assignments. Seems pretty straight forward on the Orbi

this aproach would see anything connected behind the orbi would have to deal with dual nat , sure it may work for basic stuff but things that need 2 way communications like games and torrents etc etc would have issues

Message 5 of 7
dpdurst
Luminary

I would agree but from I see with the Cujo it's only handing out DHCP, say nothing about being a router so if that is the case there is no double nat happening. If in fact it is a router then your right of course it would be a double nat going on

Message 6 of 7

@dpdurst wrote:

I would agree but from I see with the Cujo it's only handing out DHCP, say nothing about being a router so if that is the case there is no double nat happening. If in fact it is a router then your right of course it would be a double nat going on

if its handling firewall duties it has to be a nat and router as a firewall is the front door to the nat and thus there will be double nat

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7