Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does RBR50 Router Support WPA3?

emmpit
Follower

Does RBR50 Router Support WPA3?

I use an RBR50 Orbi router with firmware updated to latest version 2.71.60. The documentation says that on wireless settings under security you can select WPA3 option, however when I log into the router's settings menu I dont see any such option. In fact the only security options available are:

• None
  • WPA2-PSK [AES]
  • WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

According to Netgear's documentation WPA3 should be supported. Any help would be appreaciated. Thank you.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Re: Does RBR50 Router Support WPA3?

Indeed, the May 2020 User Manual Orbi Router Model RBR50 Orbi Satellite Model RBS50 Orbi Router Model RBR40 Orbi... does show

===
5. Under Security Options, select a WPA option:
• WPA2-PSK [AES]
• WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]
• WPA3-Personal [SAE]
The WPA3 option uses the newest standard for the strongest security.
Some older computers and WiFi devices cannot use WPA3 or WPA2. If your network includes old computers and WiFi devices, select the WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] radio button.

===

Said that: What is shown here would be a WPA3-SAE mode _only_ - not supporting any mixed mode (known to cause interoperability issues for many popular wireless client devices - read these fail to associate to the wireless access point).

Have not spotted any indication of WPA3 support in the recent RBR50 firmware release notes however.

@Christian_R please provide insight.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Its not in current FW:

NoWPA3.png

I presume this maybe a typo in the user manual at this point. 

Hopefully a forum moderator and help on this.

@Blanca_O 

@olympos1625 

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

Indeed, the May 2020 User Manual Orbi Router Model RBR50 Orbi Satellite Model RBS50 Orbi Router Model RBR40 Orbi... does show

That link now goes to a Jan, 2021 version of the User Manual which does not mention WPA3.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Looks like it was corrected. Thanks for checking @CrimpOn 

Message 5 of 7
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi, All, 

Orbi AC device are not compatible with WPA3 security.

Which security features does my Orbi WiFi System support?

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Technically there is nothing stopping Netgear from making WPA3-Personal available on Qualcomm IPQ4019 abgn+ac 2x2:2 (the first WPA3 certified Mesh system was already qualified in 2018 on the very same chipset) as well as Qualcomm QCA9984 an+ac 4x4:4 for the backhaul are supporting it for a long time.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7