Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does orbi transmit power control help with disconnects?

RedBatman89
Guide

Does orbi transmit power control help with disconnects?

So I heard that you can lower the transmission power on 2.4ghz and 5ghz to help with connetion issues and certain bands not connecting correctly. Does it really help with that, and if so, will lowering it cause my Orbi to resart? Just trying to not take any chances here especially with this last firmware.  I have an rbk23

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Does orbi transmit power control help with disconnects?

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Hoping NG support can have a look at this. So try this out as well.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Try this as well:

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-RBS40-V2-1-4-16-mesh-network-drops-connection-to/m-...
Change the CTR/RTS threshold values for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

Message 2 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Does orbi transmit power control help with disconnects?

@RedBatman89 wrote:

So I heard that you can lower the transmission power on 2.4ghz and 5ghz to help with connetion issues and certain bands not connecting correctly. Does it really help with that, and if so, will lowering it cause my Orbi to resart? Just trying to not take any chances here especially with this last firmware.  I have an rbk23

From my experience I was able to lower the power of the 5g signal in the Orbi setup as well as unplug one of the Sats. This helped me connect a weather station that needed 2.4G to connect.  Once the Iphone was on 2.4G, I made the connection and turned everything back to the way it was.  I have since lost power a few times but when the Orbi comes back on line, the weather station does as well.  This makes me beleive that once the connection is made, the device and Orbi exchange info which says this device MUST connrct at 2.4G...or something like that.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7