Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Doorbird video doorbell connectivity issues

Ashdli
Tutor

Doorbird video doorbell connectivity issues

I have one router and 2 satellite configuration setup at home providing a 10.0.x.x network. 

My Telco router sits in front of Orbi and has a 192.168.x.x network. I have a video doorbell from Doorbird. This doorbell connects through internet hosted server and provides video and audio interface through mobiles or tablets. 

Diagram attached

When i shifted to Orbi, i connected all home devices to Orbi network (10.0.x.x) leaving the Telco modem to be just an interaface to the telco provider. I cannot remove the telco modem it as telephone (land line) connectivity is through this modem. 

The issue I face is that Doorbird works perfectly when connected to Telco modem but if I try to connect it to Orbi router , it just stops working. Both connections are wired using the same cable on modem and orbi end. 

Any guidance will be appreciated, thanks in advance. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

@Ashdli wrote:

I have one router and 2 satellite configuration setup at home providing a 10.0.x.x network. 

My Telco router sits in front of Orbi and has a 192.168.x.x network. I have a video doorbell from Doorbird. This doorbell connects through internet hosted server and provides video and audio interface through mobiles or tablets. 

Diagram attached

When i shifted to Orbi, i connected all home devices to Orbi network (10.0.x.x) leaving the Telco modem to be just an interaface to the telco provider. I cannot remove the telco modem it as telephone (land line) connectivity is through this modem. 

The issue I face is that Doorbird works perfectly when connected to Telco modem but if I try to connect it to Orbi router , it just stops working. Both connections are wired using the same cable on modem and orbi end. 

Any guidance will be appreciated, thanks in advance. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

I'm not familiar withv your Doorbird system. However, pretty much all wired and wireless devices have to be configured. Did you try resetting the doorbird and reconfiguring for the new Orbi network? Also, if the Telco modem is setup as a router, you should set your Orbi in AP mode.

Message 2 of 9
Ashdli
Tutor

Thanks for your response. Doorbird is very similar to Ring video doorbell

Link here https://www.doorbird.com/

I do beleive my telco modem would be configured as a router since it connected to fibre gateway and the internal addresses are 192.168.x.x. range. 

AP mode should fix the issue but I want to keep it as last resort. 

The reason I did not configure Orbi in AP mode was I wanted to create a second internal network zone for more security. 

Is it possible to add a static route in Orbi for the video bell? 

Current details as below

Doorbird current Static IP 192.168.1.25 on Telco Modem

Orbi static IP on Telco Modem -192.168.1.25

Telco Modem default gateway  - 192.168.1.11, this is also configured on Orbi Router

What I want to do

Move Doorbird to Orbi  with Static address - 10.0.0.25

I presume if Doorbird wants to connect to internet IP XX, Orbi sends XX to WAN side, which sends XX to Telco Model gateway, which sends to Telco network. On reverse side, XX sends packed back to Telco Router but it may be getting lost between Telco router and ORBI.. Again not very sure

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Ashdli wrote:

I, also, get telephone service through my ISP modem, but it is only a modem.  Generally, the "phone support" and router/WiFi capability are separate functions within the ISP device.  The ISP device could be put into bridge (or passthrough) mode without affecting phone service.  Perhaps yours cannot, but it is a question that could be put to the ISP technical support.

@Ashdli wrote:

Just to be clear, the diagram shows the doorbell connection as a solid line, similar to the wired connection between modem, Orbi, and switch.  But the doorbell connection is WiFi, correct?  Those static IP's are set on the doorbell itself, or on the WiFi router?

Message 4 of 9
Ashdli
Tutor

Thanks Doorbird is connected through a wired connection. 

Static IP is configured on Modem. Doorbird does not have wired connections settings, rather only connect to wifi network. It seeks settings from the access points

Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Ashdli wrote:

Thanks Doorbird is connected through a wired connection. 

Static IP is configured on Modem. Doorbird does not have wired connections settings, rather only connect to wifi network. It seeks settings from the access points

I am having a slow day.  I see that the Doorbird receives electrical power through the doorbell low voltage circuit, but that is entirely different from the network connection.

If the static IP is set on the ISP router (modem), then it cannot be given a 10.0.0 IP address.  The ISP router has no idea where that network is because it is hidden behind the Orbi router.

Message 6 of 9
Ashdli
Tutor

Apologies did not clarify this. 

Doorbell is currently physically connected by ethernet cable to Telco Modem and therefore given a 192.X.X.X Ip from this modem. 

Only after I move doorbird ethernet cable to Orbi, do I plan to give it a fixed IP from Orbi router of 10.X.X.X 

So sequene of actions will be

- Move Doorbird ethernet connection  from Telco Modem

- Re-Connect Doorbird ethernet to Orbi.

- Remove static IP (192.X.X.X) allocation for Doorbird in Telco Modem. 

- Add Static IP allocation (10.X.X.X) for Doorbird in Orbi.

- Restart Doorbird to pick the new IP adress now in 10.X.X.X range. 

I have done the above process earlier and after this I could not connect back to Doorbird. This is the core issue. 

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Ashdli wrote:

Apologies did not clarify this. 

Doorbell is currently physically connected by ethernet cable to Telco Modem and therefore given a 192.X.X.X Ip from this modem. 

Only after I move doorbird ethernet cable to Orbi, do I plan to give it a fixed IP from Orbi router of 10.X.X.X 

So sequene of actions will be

- Move Doorbird ethernet connection  from Telco Modem

- Re-Connect Doorbird ethernet to Orbi.

- Remove static IP (192.X.X.X) allocation for Doorbird in Telco Modem. 

- Add Static IP allocation (10.X.X.X) for Doorbird in Orbi.

- Restart Doorbird to pick the new IP adress now in 10.X.X.X range. 

I have done the above process earlier and after this I could not connect back to Doorbird. This is the core issue. 

Thanks for clarifying.  So, the issue appears to be intellectual curiosity as to what causes the smartphone apps to no longer receive alerts from the Doorbird when connected to the Orbi?  i.e. if left connected to the ISP router, "everything works?"

These IoT things that connect "through the cloud" are somewhat of a mystery.  Perhaps the smartphone app needs to be reconfigured?  i.e. Delete the Doorbird from the app and redefine it after it connects to the Orbi?

Message 8 of 9
Mikey94025
Hero

@Ashdli wrote:

AP mode should fix the issue but I want to keep it as last resort. 

The reason I did not configure Orbi in AP mode was I wanted to create a second internal network zone for more security. 

I think you may need to resort to AP mode.  Or try modifying some of the Orbi settings under Advanced... Setup... WAN Setup.  From https://www.doorbird.com/faq it says that they use an encrypted VPN tunnel so my guess is that your secondary internal network is causing issues with their VPN setup.  They say they don't do any port forwarding.  Presumably you've already tried the basic things in https://www.doorbird.com/downloads/wifi_troubleshooting_en_de.pdf.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7