Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Download slower than upload

Ramboost2000
Aspirant

Download slower than upload

I have just installed Orbi RBK53, and I have serious problems getting proper wifi download speed over WiFi. I have a 500/100 mbit internet connection and when I test my internet speed from eg. my iPhone I consequently get speeds around 50 mbit donwlaod and 60-70 mbit upload.

When I do an Internet connection test from the Orbi adminstration page it measures 500/70 mbit. I have disabled the Netgear Armor and parental control, but still I get very poor download speed. I have tried to tamper with almost every setting in the Orbi admin and I have made sure that other wifi's (like Sonos) are using different channels than the Orbi.

A fully aware that I propably should lose some speed due to wifi constrains (especially since there is a wall between the sattelite and my iPhone), but I believe I am losing way to much and I am puzzled since it seems like my upload speed can more or less be maintained.

I am lost. Any good ideas or inputs? Thanks

/Ramboost

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
tucsontico
Virtuoso

There are several pieces of infromation the forum will need to properly help you:

1) What version of the ORBI firmware is installed on your router and satellites?

2) How large is your house in sq feet?

3) What is the distance between the router and satellites? 

4) What topology is your system, i.e., daisy chain or star?

5) What channels are selected for the 2.4 gHz and 5 gHz bands?

6) Are there any other nearby WiFi transmitters, i.e., neighbors?

7) What are the constuction materials of your house?

You mentioned you've "...tampered with almost every setting...", what are your current settings in the admin page? It is quite possible you've put your ORBI in group of settings that are conflicting. After we find out what firmware is on your system, we'll probably recommend a factory reset and reconfiguring the system from scratch.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Message 3 of 7
Ramboost2000
Aspirant

The ISP modem is a Sagemcom Fast3890.
Message 4 of 7
Ramboost2000
Aspirant

@tucsontico, thanks for trying to help me out here. I have tried to fill out your questions to the best of my ablitity:

1) I just tried to upgrade the Orbi to the new Wifi 6, but are experiencing the same problem: Good wifi connection but poor internet connection. But the funny thing is, that is not consistent. I am running firmware V3.2.8.5_1.2.3

2) My house is 765 square feet. I am testing on a location very close to the router (on the other side of a "gas concrete" wall (that is what Google Translate calls it - it is "light" concrete").

3) The router and the satellites are wired via ethernet and connected through a switch. I also tried to connect directly to the router (not a switch), but same result.

4) Star I guess, when everything goes through a switch?

5) Now it has been set to "Auto" for 2.4 ghz and 36 for 5 ghz. Have tried different channels to avoid conflict with my Sonos and other known equipment. After I upgraded to the new Wifi 6 router I am just using default.

6) Sometimes I can see my neighbors wifi popping up in the wifi list, but we live in a house surrounded by garden, so there is some distance to the neighbors.

7) The construction material of the walls are primarily "gas concrete" or "aerated concrete" depending on what the right interpretation is. The danish word is "porebeton" og "gasbeton". The ceiling is wood.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I Think this already has a built in router with in the modem.

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

@Ramboost2000 wrote:
The ISP modem is a Sagemcom Fast3890.

Message 6 of 7
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Sorry for the delay in responding, I was out of internet coverage for the last few days. Thanks for answering my questions. I do have a few insights:

1) You noted ..."I just tried to upgrade the Orbi to the new Wifi 6, but are experiencing the same problem: Good wifi connection but poor internet connection. But the funny thing is, that is not consistent. I am running firmware V3.2.8.5_1.2.3."  This forum is for the original ORBI NOT the WiFi 6 version. I am unfamiliar with the newest ORBI WiFI 6. I recommend posting your issues in that forum.

2) You said: "My house is 765 square feet." I have to assume this is a typographical error and you really meant 765 square meters. An ORBI router alone would cover nearly 2000 square feet. If my assuption is correct, your house is about 8200 square feet. The ORBI mesh system is a good candidate for this size house as long as the satellites and router have strong connectivity. SInce you have the satellites wired to the router you should have good backhaul connectivity. 

3) You mentioned: "The router and the satellites are wired via ethernet and connected through a switch...". Is the switch a managed or unmanaged type? ORBI doesn't work well with managed switches. 

4) You do have a "star" topology since all the satellites are connected to the router through the switch. In a "daisy chain", one satellite is connected to the router and the other satellites are connected to each throught he first satellite.

5) Which 2.4 gHz channels have you tried to deconfict with your Sonos? Try 1, 6 or 11.

6) If you see other WiFi signals in your house, you should try to determine what channels they are on and deconflict both 2.4 and 5 gHz from the neighbors.

7) "Gas/Aerated" concrete can absorb a lot of WiFi signal strength, especially in the 5 gHz band. With wired backhaul, you should be fine.

Again, this forum is for the legacy ORBI. The ORBI WiFI 6 forum is at: 

• Netgaer Forum>Home Networking>Orbi WiFI System>Orbi (AX).

Sorry I couldn't help any more. Good luck and Happy New Year!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7