Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Dropped connections Tech Support recommendation - not firmware or Google caused

DaninSD
Guide

Dropped connections Tech Support recommendation - not firmware or Google caused

I have been experiencing dropped connections.  I was upgraded to the latest firmware 2.1.2.18.  I also looked at my logs and saw a bunch of DOS / ARP (denial of service) attacks from four different devices including my Ecobee thermostat and Epson printer (both made no sense at all).  I have my Orbi connected to my AT&T router.  I also had a DOS / ACK scan Port 443.

Support was stating that there are a number of things going on with my setup:

• My AT&T router was changing the IP address of the Orbi router so I need to set the Orbi router as a fixed IP address
  • The Orbi satellites were too close to each other.  Since my house doesn't have cement walls, the satellites should be at least 45 feet away from the router (with cement walls the distance is at least 30 feet). 
  • Having the satellites setup in Router vs. AP mode may cause interference between the two satellites. 
  • The DOS/ACK scan was due to my work VPN losing connection and seeing a different IP address.  I don't fully understand this but hope it's taken care of (I wanted to document this).

Here is what support had me do:

1. Moved the satellites to at least 45 feet apart.   
  2. Changed the MTU size from 1500 to 1490 in Advanced...Setup...WAN Setup.  I don't remember why they made me do this.
  3. Change from Router mode to Access Point mode in Advanced...Advanced Setup...Router/AP Mode.   This will extend your first router's IP addresses to the Orbi so they will get reassigned to look the same.
  4. Change the IP of the Orbi router to a fixed IP address by logging into your first router (if you have one).  If you do this, the Orbi router itself won't change IP addresses.  If you don't have a router that's assigning the IP address then it sounded like you need to call your internet provider and figure out how to assign a static IP to the Orbi router.
  5. Unchecked Enable Daisy Chain in Advanced Setup...Wireless Setup.  This removed the ability for the satellites to talk with each other and overlap signals.

I don't know if this all worked.  I'll update this thread after a day or so after looking at the logs and seeing if I get drops or DOS attacks.  

Maybe these ideas will help somebody if they find this through Google.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 4
DaninSD
Guide

Re: Dropped connections Tech Support recommendation - not firmware or Google caused

Now I'm having a different dropped connection issue.  My AT&T router is stating "Node XX.XX.XX.XX is down" when I have a dropped connection.  I'm calling tech support again because I think Orbi is still going down and my AT&T router can't connect to a device it previously could connect to.

Message 2 of 4
DaninSD
Guide

Re: Dropped connections Tech Support recommendation - not firmware or Google caused

The next tech support person I talked to had me change a bunch of settings:

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING, MU-MIMO and Fast Roaming

Then he had me change my channel for 2.4G and 5G as he suspected there were overlaps.  I used WiFi Analyzer to find the channels that were not used in my area.

I then purchased (for $9.95) Net Uptime Monitor and am running it on my PC to check my internet connection every 5 seconds.  It will give me a log of the test and tell me when the network was down.

Message 3 of 4
DaninSD
Guide

This last configuration seemed to work.  No drops so far.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7