Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Dynamic DNS problems on Synnology with Orbi RBR50V2 firmware 2.7.3.22

dbrewood
Guide

Re: Dynamic DNS problems on Synnology with Orbi RBR50V2 firmware 2.7.3.22

I'll stick with the other threzd now I guess or we'll both end up duplicating posts on different platforms 🙂

Message 51 of 62
dbrewood
Guide

It failed yet again tonight....... so back to the Home Hub...... nothing else I can do at my end now......... got to wait on Netgear Support I guess unless I can get the Orbi to work in AP mode with the Home Hub?

Really unimpressed with the Orbi and Netgear Support.

Message 52 of 62
CrimpOn
Guru

I see no reason why an Orbi would not work with BT Home Hub in Access Point (AP) mode.

Message 53 of 62
dbrewood
Guide

Would that be on the same network (IP range) as the Home hub though? As that is neeed for all my Apple Smart home devices?

Message 54 of 62
dbrewood
Guide

@CrimpOn wrote:

I see no reason why an Orbi would not work with BT Home Hub in Access Point (AP) mode.

And it does indeed, this of course looks ot havd fixed the DNS issues but alas I lose out on the Armor protection features.

I hope Netgear bring out some decent firmware that fixes the prpblem quickly.

Message 55 of 62
NESSHINDO
Aspirant

My choise in this is defintive 'best of breed'. Routing to a good router. Wifi to a good Mesh system (lack of decent cable structure in my house).  

Message 56 of 62
dbrewood
Guide

Agreed. If I could go with a better router I would. The Orbi had been fantastic as a router / mesh system until the DNS issue cropped up.

It wil llast me until we move to Zen Internet in 14 months time. They provide a FritzBox as part of the deal so yeah......

Message 57 of 62
NESSHINDO
Aspirant

Zen internet??
I am a zen monk myself. But I have no zen internet 😅
Message 58 of 62
dbrewood
Guide

Ha I love the coincidence 🙂

https://www.zen.co.uk/

Message 59 of 62
dbrewood
Guide

With the Orbi working in Access Point mode it seems (so far) to give me a stable network but alas does remove the Netgear Armor protection system from the Orbi. So no more detection and auto-blocking of intrusive IP attacks etc.

Anyway I’ll stick in this position until Netgear release the next firmware version and I’ll then give it another try.

I do have to say part of me is still wondering if it is a Synology issue as the problem did only start with DSM7. So I’m wondering if DMS7 has a random DNS communication issue.

I guess we’ll never know.

Message 60 of 62
NESSHINDO
Aspirant

No errors the last days sinds installed my Fritzbox and Orbi as AP.
Looks like definitive solution for me
Message 61 of 62
dbrewood
Guide

At a heck of a cost though.

With me I'm now running vDSM6 on the NAS in parallel with DSM7 (of course alas) and I've put the Orbi back in place as the min router. So I'm monitoring to see if DSM7 gives the DNS error and the vDSM6 doesn't. If that is the case it proves it is a DSM issue and not the Orbi.

I've also changed the DNS settings on DSM7 to point at the Orbi instead of Cloudflare, as DSM6 defaults to that. I also updated my ticket on Synology, you may have seen the post on SynoForum?

Message 62 of 62
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 61 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7