× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet Connection good but WiFi not working

copco
Aspirant

Ethernet Connection good but WiFi not working

I recently installed a CM700 modem and the Orbi RBK23.  It was working well, but recently the wireless connection to internet has started to have problems, dropping off randomly.  I can access the internet via the wire connections off of the Orbi router, but not through wireless.

Per an online post, I changed the channel from auto to 1, but still an issue.

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this problem and/or has ideas.

Router firmware is  V2.2.0.68

Thanks

- N

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the router and set up from scratch.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 9
copco
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply.

So, the setup was done as the instructions directed.

The home is about 2600 sq ft.

If the satellite is more than 30 ft from the router or another satellite, it is not much more than that.

I was using Auto, but switched to 1. I don't know what th 5GHz channel is set to.

We have cordless phones in the home and I did notice the internet (via wifi) drop while someone was using the phone, but not always the case.

We do have neighbors with wifi.  Who doesn't? None are right on top of us though.

I'm sort of hoping for a progressive approach and perhaps before that, someone might explain what is occurring.  I, and I'm sure others, have invested a decent amount of money into setting up a "high performing" wireless environment.  Someone from NETGEAR should have an answer to this.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Some problems can stem from nighboring wifi interferences. Lets see if changing from Auto to manual channels helps any.

How many neighbors are near by and what channesl are they using?

Try using only the one ruoter and one satellite as well, turning off the 2nd satellite. Possible having more than one satellite could be a cause as well. Having too many wifi sources could be a cause as well. I have a 5000sq ft home and only use the base and 1 satellite, 40 feet away. 2600sq ft should fall into this configuration with out the use of additional satellites. Just something to try.

Message 4 of 9
copco
Aspirant

Hello and thanks again...

Just arrived home to the internet over Wi-Fi being down.  Went to orbilogin.com, logged in and voila...the internet is back...

I'm already on Channel 1, but would be willing to change it, if you think going to 6 is better.  What channel do cordless phones use?

2.4 Ghz on Channel 1

5 GHz on 48

I used WifiInfoView and I'm the only one using Channel 1...

Message 5 of 9
copco
Aspirant

FYI... it appears that my Wi-Fi is working mostly over 5GHz.  I'm wondering if the 5GHx goes down, but not the 2.4GHz.  If so, why?

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using just the RBR router along with out the satellite(s) online and see if the wifi still goes down. Then try adding just 1 satellite.

Try changing from channel 48 to channel 36. Any nieghbors near by using 5Ghz channels?

Last resort would be to do a factory reset on the Orbi system and set up from scratch. Use same free manual channels 1 and 36, uncheck 20/40Mhz Coexistence, Disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming and see if this helps any, if it goes, possible you may have a faulty system which may need to be RMAd.

Message 7 of 9
copco
Aspirant

I have a Wifinetinfo log that I can post.  Not sure if I need to block any of the information though.  For the most part, I see only our devices.  I do see one from the neighbor, but they are on Channel 6.

I see my SSID listed 6 times, once for each Orbi device (router and 2 satellites), and for both 2.4GHz and 5.2GHz.

Theres an ORBxxx SSID showing up

Then there are presumably consumer devices (e.g. Roku, Laptops) that are using Channel 1, Channel 48, or Channel 157. I'm not sure what the 157 is being used for.

Last evening I discovered that an old Wireless Extended was still part of the network.  I removed that wondering if it was creating some conflict. If it drops again, I will try your suggestions.  Thank you.

- N

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah, old wifi, Ok. Let us know if you see it happen again...Having too many wifi sources can cause problems. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7