Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet ports

dogbert88
Aspirant

Ethernet ports

I have tried hooking 2 different devices (smart TV and Arlo security cameras) to one of the ethernet ports on the back of my satellite and neither device recognizes the ethernet connection as a wired connection.  Am I doing something incorrectly?  Thanks.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Ethernet ports

Check LAN cabling between satellite and devices. Use good quality cables. CAT6 is recommended. 

Try connecting then to the base router to see if they connect there. 

What Firmware is currently loaded?

@dogbert88 wrote:

I have tried hooking 2 different devices (smart TV and Arlo security cameras) to one of the ethernet ports on the back of my satellite and neither device recognizes the ethernet connection as a wired connection.  Am I doing something incorrectly?  Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Check LAN cabling between satellite and devices. Use good quality cables. CAT6 is recommended. 

Try connecting then to the base router to see if they connect there. 

What Firmware is currently loaded?

@dogbert88 wrote:

Message 2 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

I thought Arlo cameras were "battery powered, wireless", i.e. with no ethernet jack.  Is it the Arlo base station that is being connected?

Message 3 of 11

There is one Arlo camera, the Q Plus, that does LAN.

But the best place to ask about Arlo kit is in the dedicated Community.

Arlo Smart Home Security - Arlo Communities

Message 4 of 11
dogbert88
Aspirant

Yes, of course, thank you.

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@dogbert88 wrote:

The TV is too large to carry around, but what happens when the Arlo is plugged into the router LAN ports?  i.e. if the Arlo connects to the router, but not to the satellite, then the topic may belong here.

Message 6 of 11
ekhalil
Master

@dogbert88 wrote:

Can you see any wireless device attached to the Satellite in "Attached Device" in the web GUI or Orbi app?

It looks to me that you could have backhaul issues and therefore no devices (wired nor wireless) are being attached to the Satellite?

Message 7 of 11
randomousity
Luminary

Do you have access control enabled on the Orbi, and, if so, is it set to allow or block new devices? It could be that your Orbi is blocking the Arlo and smart TV, either by default, or due to a glitch in the access control settings (I know certain firmware versions have an issue where they will change one or two allowed devices to blocked for no apparent reason, and even manually changing them to allowed doesn't stick, as they revert back to blocked shortly thereafter).

I have no idea what your ability to view the Arlo's network settings are when the connection isn't working, but on a smart tv, at least, you should be able to see whether it's pulling an IP address from the DHCP server on the Orbi (assuming you have that enabled), what its MAC address is, etc., (or whether it's failing to be assigned an IP address, is set for manual configuration instead of DHCP, etc.) both of which would be helpful when looking in the Orbi's connected devices and access control settings pages to see what it shows on the Orbi's end about those devices.

At any rate, check the connected devices page on the Orbi, and also the access control settings page and see if there's anything useful on either of those pages.

Message 8 of 11
dogbert88
Aspirant

I wanted to thank everyone who posted thier recommendations; they were very helpful.  Thank you.

Message 9 of 11
Chuck_M
Mentor

To inform everyone else, if this issue was solved can you describe the solution?

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you were able to solve the problem. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@dogbert88 wrote:

I wanted to thank everyone who posted thier recommendations; they were very helpful.  Thank you.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7