Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extend RBR50 / RBS50 system, but products not for sale anymore...

bwaterlot
Aspirant

Extend RBR50 / RBS50 system, but products not for sale anymore...

Hello

I have a RBR50 router with 3 RBS50 satelites. This system is working great.

I have a new poolhouse in the garden and I would like to extend the network. But the RBR/RBS 50 products are not for sale anymore. Neither are the compatible products.

What to do? Any suggestions?

Thnx

Bart

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Extend RBR50 / RBS50 system, but products not for sale anymore...

EX and EAX series extenders are compatible. 

Or run a ethernet CAT6A lan cable from one building to the remote building and configure a RBS 20, 30, 40, 50 series

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

or EX or EAX series extender for AP mode and connect it to the lan cable that's in the remote building. 

Or even get a simple standard wifi router, R or RAX series and configure it for AP mode and connect to the lan cable that's in the remote building. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@bwaterlot wrote:

RBR/RBS 50 products are not for sale anymore. Neither are the compatible products.

What to do? Any suggestions?

True, the 802.11ac product line is a bit "long in the tooth".  Amazon seems to have some (in the US, anyway):

CrimpOn_0-1686088471807.png

Here's a package with two RBS20 satellites and one router (which you do not need):

CrimpOn_1-1686088733879.png

One satellite and one router (to keep as a spare) Notice that this refurbished package is less costly than one single satellite!

CrimpOn_2-1686088812837.png

eBay usually has the older products.

As @FURRYe38 points out, the benefit of adding a "true satellite" in the pool house is that WiFi devices will roam seamlessly between the units in the main house and in the pool house.  Devices that are stationary, such as speakers, security cameras, televisions, etc. do not roam, so this capability is of no use to them.  With an ordinary WiFi extender, there could be occasions where, for example, a cell phone is taken outside and performance falls off because it has not switched to the WiFi extender.  Turn WiFi off and back on again, and it will switch.  For some users, this would be a "deal killer".

Message 3 of 4
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @bwaterlot ,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you would like to extend your existing Orbi Mesh system network by adding an additional satellite. The best satellite for your existing setup is an RBS50. 

Please navigate below for RBS50 purchase options:

Orbi RBS50 Mesh WiFi For Fast Internet - NETGEAR

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements