× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extender Models

Bobh1072
Follower

Extender Models

Considering the RBK 50 or RBK 23 but I might need to use and extender because I’ve found it very difficult to get coverage throughout my house, especially on my covered porches. My cell coverage is almost nonexistent and I’m hoping I get get much better coverage inside with ORBI and have the option for an extender on porches if needed. Has anyone had any experience with the ORBI and a specific extender model that works well?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Extender Models

If you get a orbi system, you shouldn't need an extender. First off, What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
 30 feet is recommended in between Router base and satellite(s) to begin with depending upon building materials.

I have a 5000sq ft home and use just a base and 1 satellite and have great coverage and performances inside and out.

Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Adjust the satellite position, or add additional Orbi satellite(s) near to the covered porches.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

You are correct in thinking ahead before purchasing.  From my experience, Furrey and shumako are correct.  An RBK50 (one router and one satellite) provides enormous coverage for the typical house.  Things to consider include:

Where must the router go?  Advice is usually to place the router in the center of the house, but many people have their internet modem located in one corner and no practical way to relocate it.  (Installing ethernet cable through two-story houses is often impractical.)

Home construction plays a big part.  Stone walls, concrete, brick, chimneys, metal ductwork, etc. can block WiFi signals.  You need a reasonably clear path between the router and satellite.  i.e. if you have a nearly dead area (one bar at 5G), the backhaul link is not likely to work well if the satellite is placed in the dead zone.

There is a huge difference between RBK50 and RBK23.  The RBK costs more because it has more and larger antennas and a separate set of antennas for backhaul to the router.  You'll get more coverage and more speed with RBK50 than with RBK23 (if you need more).

What are your expectations for coverage outside?  (enough for email and web surfing or do you want streaming video?)

The BIG reason to purchase a mesh system like the Orbi is to have a "seamless" network where there is only one SSID for the entire house that includes both 2.4G and 5G.  Devices connect to the device which gives the best signal and change automatically when they move around.  "Extenders" are another way to expand coverage, but a lot more complicated to manage and you would not purchase an Orbi with the idea of using WiFi extenders.

Fortunately, you can buy an RBK50 at places with generous return policies (Costco, Amazon).  Put it in, and if it doesn't work you can return it.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series