Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extending internet service

alphadoc
Follower

Extending internet service

I'd like to extend internet service from my house to another building 350' away.

Is it possible to do this by using a fiber optic cable between the two builidings, with an ethernet <--> fiberoptic data converter at either end?

Because I plan to dig a 6' trench between the buildings anyway, adding a fiber optic cable will not require extra work.

Thank you

Doug

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

You could do something like that but if you're inexperienced with fibre, another option might be using a point to point system like netgear airbridge. Might end up cheaper to buy a set of those versus the fibre and converter boxes. (Unsure on cost but its worth comparing)

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

@alphadoc wrote:

I'd like to extend internet service from my house to another building 350' away.

Is it possible to do this by using a fiber optic cable between the two builidings, with an ethernet <--> fiberoptic data converter at either end?

Because I plan to dig a 6' trench between the buildings anyway, adding a fiber optic cable will not require extra work.

There was a post recently about a church doing exactly what you describe:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/reconfiguring-our-Orbi-RBR50-with-a-new-cabled-satellite/m-p/2... 

My sense is that they had a person who job involved fiber optics and was capable of doing the fiber termination and setting up the converters.  Whereas even I can crimp connectors on an ethernet cable (and keep putting them on until I eventually do it correctly), fiber requires different tools, training, and experience.

@plemansis right that for this distance a WiFi bridge in the form of a pair of WiFi units might be a lot less costly.  In addition to Netgear's AirBridge, people have posted success with a number of brands they bought off Amazon.  Ubiquiti NanoStation is one that is mentioned frequently.  A pair will cost under $200.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7