Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extending internet service

alphadoc
Follower

Extending internet service

I'd like to extend internet service from my house to another building 350' away.

Is it possible to do this by using a fiber optic cable between the two builidings, with an ethernet <--> fiberoptic data converter at either end?

Because I plan to dig a 6' trench between the buildings anyway, adding a fiber optic cable will not require extra work.

Thank you

Doug

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Extending internet service

You could do something like that but if you're inexperienced with fibre, another option might be using a point to point system like netgear airbridge. Might end up cheaper to buy a set of those versus the fibre and converter boxes. (Unsure on cost but its worth comparing)

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Extending internet service

@alphadoc wrote:

I'd like to extend internet service from my house to another building 350' away.

Is it possible to do this by using a fiber optic cable between the two builidings, with an ethernet <--> fiberoptic data converter at either end?

Because I plan to dig a 6' trench between the buildings anyway, adding a fiber optic cable will not require extra work.

There was a post recently about a church doing exactly what you describe:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/reconfiguring-our-Orbi-RBR50-with-a-new-cabled-satellite/m-p/2... 

My sense is that they had a person who job involved fiber optics and was capable of doing the fiber termination and setting up the converters.  Whereas even I can crimp connectors on an ethernet cable (and keep putting them on until I eventually do it correctly), fiber requires different tools, training, and experience.

@plemansis right that for this distance a WiFi bridge in the form of a pair of WiFi units might be a lot less costly.  In addition to Netgear's AirBridge, people have posted success with a number of brands they bought off Amazon.  Ubiquiti NanoStation is one that is mentioned frequently.  A pair will cost under $200.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7