Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extra satellite for RBK40

numzie77
Guide

Extra satellite for RBK40

Hi
I have an RBK40 setup (RBR40 router and RBS40 satellite).

I would like another satellite, as we struggle a bit in the end of our house even though it's not that big.

Which satellites (besides RBS40) are compatible for this?

I just need a cheap solution, not a fancy one with a large capacity.

And: Can I hook up another RBR40 on the same network and just let it work as a satellite?

Regards
Kenneth
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Satellites compatible with the RBR40 router include:

• RBS50
  • RBS40
  • RBS30
  • RBS40V

None of the AX or "Pro" satellites integrate with the original WiFi5 systems.

Message 2 of 7
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello numzie77,

Welcome to the Netgear Community!

The Orbi router can not be used as a satellite. 

Please see the link below for our compatibility cart for all satellites that are compatible with your RBR40:

Which Orbi routers and satellites are compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

How big is the home? 

What are the interior walls made from? 

How do you have the router/satellites laid out in the home?

Message 4 of 7
numzie77
Guide

It's 155 m2 - aerated concrete walls.

The router is pretty much in the middle. The satellite is next to the kids computer (wired to his computer).

But I consider switching to Google Wifi instead. I can get a 3 pcs set used for less than a used satellite - and these firmware update troubles are not keeping me to the Orbi product 🙂

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

ahh, concrete, the bane of wifi existence. 

If you're wanting decent coverage, check into figuring out a way to hardwire in the satellites. Regardless if you switch to google or whatever mesh system you use. The Concrete does a great job of blocking wifi and the mesh systems that use a wireless backhaul are going to struggle because their backhaul gets blocked with the concrete. 

You could look at using powerline, moca adapters, or even just connecting via ethernet if you have it ran through the home. 

(hint, look on amazon at rbk43 renewed. Super cheap and gives you 2x satellites plus a backup router in case yours fails)

Message 6 of 7
numzie77
Guide

Thanks.

A 3 pack Google will probably do better than my current 2 units with Orbi I think.

I am located in Europe, so amazon.com just means 30% on top in customs, import fee and VAT, sorry 😞

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7