Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FTP connections from RBR and RBS 40

mikebainbridge1
Aspirant

FTP connections from RBR and RBS 40

Sorry if this is obvious but I can't find a mention anywhere. I'm just installed RBR40 and RBS40 on FW 2.1.4.16 . It's configured in AP mode and connected directly to my Untangle 13.2.1 firewall.This works well with good throughput. However, I'm seeing  multiple firewall alerts. Both RBR and RBS units are apparently attempting to 'call home' on port 21 (FTP) to two Irish AWS services:

These are, according to whois, updates1.netgear.com

There seems to be no way of turning this off in the configuration and also almost nothing I could find on the internet. Having done some due dilligence, I'm comfortable with allowing this connection - Anyone think I should do otherwise ?

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: FTP connections from RBR and RBS 40

What happens if you take the LAN cable from the WAN port on the Orbi router and put it to one of the LAN ports? Doing this may cause the top led to turn on Pink.

Yes this is an auto update feature which can't be disabled. You can block it if you wish on the firewall. It's something NG put in. Theres been requests to be able to disable it as it's been known to cause problems.

Message 2 of 4
mikebainbridge1
Aspirant

Thanks for the response - the alert will still be there as the current rule is to block all outgoing traffic on port 21 no matter what the source- The updates work fine on HTTPS so I guiess I'll just ignore these alerts for now. The other option is to open up an outgoing hole in the firewall for the two IP's currently registered at update1.... I can't see an advantage and I can see a theoretical disavantage....!

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe the update system tries HTTP first then HTTPS. 

Not much you can do about the autoupdate. Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7