Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Factory reset info

St3rMiN4ToR
Tutor

Factory reset info

Hello,

the factory reset in the GUI will reset both, router and satellite, or just the router?

Thanks in advance.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Just the router. If you log in to the satellite, you can reset it from there. 

Message 2 of 16
St3rMiN4ToR
Tutor

Ok, I am logged into the satellite, where can I find the reset button?

Thanks.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there a Advanced selection some place? Possible the Satellite doesn't have a reset UI. 
If it doesn't you'll just need to hit the reset button on the back. 

Message 4 of 16
Chuck_M
Mentor

There is no option to reset an RBR50 or RBS50 from within the GUI.  That is purely a mechanical thing with the paperclip.

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Message 5 of 16
Shotround
Apprentice

from the router, what does Advanced - Administration - Backup Settings - Revert to factory default settings do?

Message 6 of 16
Chuck_M
Mentor

Well damn I didnt know that was there...   interesting that NG doesnt refer to that in their reset instructions.

Appreciate you pointing that out to me.

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats the Factory reset. Wipes out all configurations. Sets it back to factory defaults. 

@Shotround wrote:

from the router, what does Advanced - Administration - Backup Settings - Revert to factory default settings do?

Message 8 of 16
Chuck_M
Mentor

So that begs the question, what is the difference between doing that and a hard reset?

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Been there for a long time. Same goes for other router Mfrs. 

@Chuck_M wrote:

Well damn I didnt know that was there...   interesting that NG doesnt refer to that in their reset instructions.

Appreciate you pointing that out to me.

Message 10 of 16
Chuck_M
Mentor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Been there for a long time. Same goes for other router Mfrs. 

Thanks for this History lesson @FURRYe38 !   

Now do you know the difference between using that and a hard (paperclip) reset?

Message 11 of 16

Now do you know the difference between using that and a hard (paperclip) reset?

Same thing.

Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

@michaelkenward @Chuck_M Both do the same thing. physical button is for if no access to the UI or the system isn't working. UI is for ease of access if the system does work and you have a connection with the router. Also if you don't have quick phycial access to the router, one can reset it and set it up from else where in the building. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 16
gr8sho
Virtuoso

While it's true that all routers offer a reset to factory defaults in their management console, the RBK50 as an example is the first integrated system of it's type to have more than one physical device.  The factory reset function should apply to both devices.  I will put this to the test tomorrow before going the paperclip route.

Message 14 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what you find out.

Orbi isn't the first to have a physical extender. There are others out there. It all on how the router Mfr implement resets and such. I see differences between router mfrs. Some resets only effect the router base, Some give resets on the extenders UI themselves besides the phsycal button. It all about how each router mfr sets there intended design up for. 

Message 15 of 16
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Let us know what you find out.

Alrhigty then, here goes.  Most of this is fairly dry and if you're not OCD type, probably should just skip.

I spent a good bit of time this morning trying all various combinations of resets.  Used the web GUI, iOS app, and full manual method via paperclip.  In both of the first two methods, I could not get the satellite to pickup the 10.0.0.2 address as both the iPhone and desktop already being on the network grabbed it. Also the webGUI factory reset does not touch the satellite.

I settled on full manual.  To summarize, with everything in powered down state and nothing connected except the WAN link, bring up the RBR50 first, and after a few moments use the paperclip to force a factory reset, then let it finish booting up.  Completion is denoted by the color of the ring with Blue being goodness.  Repeat same procedure for the satellite.  power on, after a few moments use paper clip to force the reset.  You know the reset works if the adjacent LED flashes amber.  If you don't see flashing amber, repeat until it does.  Then let the satellite finish booting up and sync with the base router.  Does take a bit of time and patience, eventually the ring on top will glow blue.

At this point it's safe to use the iOS app to complete final steps.  The base should have 10.0.0.1 and the satellite will have 10.0.0.2 assuming the WAN device is already using 192.168.1.z subnet.  The new firmware will nag you if it doesn't detect a strong password for the console interface.  the default wifi password is apparently considered secure enough so I kept it.

Once the process completed, the Armor trial self activated.  I decided to let it happen so I could see what it did.  I suppressed the Circle stuff as I have no need or interest in it.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7