Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

st_shaw
Master

@scornwell wrote:

...Some official word from Netgear would be nice though. There's been pretty much nothing but radio silence since this release dropped. 

Look at the sticky post at the very top of this forum entitled "Orbi - Wireless Network not available or LED flashing white on Router or Satellite"

Message 176 of 810

How hard is it to downgrade?  I am tired of MacBook Pro switching to the 2.4 GHz from the GHz network.  I would like to turn off the 2.4 GHz radio.

I would also like them to add a feature where you can say this MAC address can only connect to this radio.

I am not impressed with their test team.  The conversations I have had with them they said they only had two Macs for their testing.

George

Message 177 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@st_shaw wrote:

@scornwell wrote:

...Some official word from Netgear would be nice though. There's been pretty much nothing but radio silence since this release dropped. 

Look at the sticky post at the very top of this forum entitled "Orbi - Wireless Network not available or LED flashing white on Router or Satellite"

That relates specifically to an issue updating to the latest firmware with RBK40, RBK43 and RBK30, not issues with the firmware itself and not the RBK50. The issues raised in this thread have yet to be responded to.

Message 178 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@Tigerman4LSU wrote:

How hard is it to downgrade?  I am tired of MacBook Pro switching to the 2.4 GHz from the GHz network.  I would like to turn off the

Easy. Just download the firmware you want and use the manual update feature. Do your sattelite first to be on the safe side, though I had no issues with downgrading the router first. Once you've been downgraded the firmware will no longer auto-update, though you will get a notification.

Message 179 of 810

It will auto update, see my post 163, mine took 5 days though before it did. Use the telnet method to edit nvram settings or set a block rule to downloads.netgear.com to stop it

Message 180 of 810
jleecloak1
Apprentice

@esiebert7625 wrote:

It will auto update, see my post 163, mine took 5 days though before it did. Use the telnet method to edit nvram settings or set a block rule to downloads.netgear.com to stop it

You shouldn't have to go through all of that just to keep your router from upgrading to a firmware you do not want. You risk bricking your router. Netgear should have this set to not auto update by default or at least give you more control in the UI menu. 

Message 181 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@esiebert7625 wrote:

Well that blows. Thanks for the tip, I'll be blocking the update service when I get home.

Message 182 of 810
mzheng
Initiate

Enough frustrations... I have packed my Orbi and it will return back to Costco tomorrow.

Message 183 of 810
Basura3d
Guide

I've tried to revert to 1.11.00.20 because of all the problems but it boots up as 1.12.00.18 every time.
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 184 of 810
BeiBar
Initiate

V1.12.0.18 has turned the best WiFi system I ever had into glorified paperweights. I've had to turn the Orbi off and plug in my old power-line adapters to get a stable network again. I'm just going to wait for Netgear to push out a new firmware.

Message 185 of 810
nizmoz
Apprentice

@BeiBar wrote:

V1.12.0.18 has turned the best WiFi system I ever had into glorified paperweights. I've had to turn the Orbi off and plug in my old power-line adapters to get a stable network again. I'm just going to wait for Netgear to push out a new firmware.

Won’t fix it.  Many have been waiting a year for a firmware that will.  Doubt it will ever happen.

Message 186 of 810
Basura3d
Guide

Today it's even worse, wifi works very sporadic and there's disconnects all the time, writing this from 4g. I use it in AP mode with 1 satellite. Is there any setting I can try? I tried a previous firmware but it won't apply it.
Message 187 of 810
captain_phaser
Apprentice

@Basura3d wrote:
Today it's even worse, wifi works very sporadic and there's disconnects all the time, writing this from 4g. I use it in AP mode with 1 satellite. Is there any setting I can try? I tried a previous firmware but it won't apply it.

@Basura3d I was able to downgrade successfully to 1.11.0.20 and have not had the Orbi auto-update. For me, I first connected to the Orbi configuration page via a wired connection, then downgraded the satellite followed by the router. As soon as I was able to get back in the configuration page, I went to Advanced > Security > Block Sites and added downloads.netgear.com in the Add Keyword box. Be sure to change the radio button for keyword blocking to "Always" and then click apply at the top of the page. 

Message 188 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

We'll, mine auto-upgraded again last night, after downgrading a couple of days ago. My ethernet to internet speed dropped massively again, from 750Mbps to 100Mbps. Testing directly through the modem confirms it's the router causing the slowdown.

Still no response whatsoever from Netgear, though they are here replying to other issues.

In its current state this product is garbage and the support it's equally poor. I'm going to see if I can get a refund, though I suspect I'm stuck for now. Either way, this will be my first and last Netgear product.
Message 189 of 810
Basura3d
Guide

http://imgur.com/a/BFMo6

Me dozens of times a day...
Message 190 of 810
captain_phaser
Apprentice

@scornwell wrote:
We'll, mine auto-upgraded again last night, after downgrading a couple of days ago. My ethernet to internet speed dropped massively again, from 750Mbps to 100Mbps. Testing directly through the modem confirms it's the router causing the slowdown.

Still no response whatsoever from Netgear, though they are here replying to other issues.

In its current state this product is garbage and the support it's equally poor. I'm going to see if I can get a refund, though I suspect I'm stuck for now. Either way, this will be my first and last Netgear product.

What steps did you take to block auto updates? Right now I have the following:

• Domain block for downloads.netgear.com added in Advanced > Security > Block Sites (Be sure to have the "Keyword Blocking" radio button set to "Always")
  • nvram variables orbi_auto_upgrade, auto_check_for_upgrade, auto_update set to 0 in router via telnet session
  • nvram variable auto_check_for_upgrade set to 0 in satellite via telnet session

Hasn't auto-updated for me so far. If the router or satellite is power cycled, rebooted, or you try to downgrade to another firmware after using the above steps, be sure to check that the above settings remain in effect.

It is quite ridiculous that for such a powerful product, there isn't an actual option to disable automatic updates.

Message 191 of 810
jcalex22
Star

Well, I just bit the bullet and down-graded to V1.11.0.20 from this train-wreck of V1.12.0.18 and followed the instructions to block auto updates and it seems to be working, as expected. Way better than V1.12.0.18.

I had TNTC (too numerous to count) internet dropouts on BOTH wi-fi & ethernet connections, today especially and just could not tolerate it anymore.

Thanks to those for the advise to stabilize my internet connection and block updates until all this mess gets sorted out.

My advise, for what it's worth:. DOWNGRADE NOW IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR SANITY, UNTIL THE DUST SETTLES AR NETGEAR AND A REPLACEMENT FIRMWARE IS RELEASED.

Message 192 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@captain_phaser I hadn't put any steps in place to block the update, I was waiting to see how long until it updated on it's own. I'll downgrade and block their updates this evening.

To Netgear's credit, they've now contacted me about the ethernet to internet speed issue. Hopfully we can work out a solution. As for the rest of the issues...  we'll have to wait and see I guess. 

Message 193 of 810
fcwest
Star

Can anyone confirm that exporting your configuration from V1.12.0.18 will successfully import to V1.11.0.20 ?

Message 194 of 810
la79
Apprentice

@fcwest

Yeah, it works. Had now problem doing it when I downgraded my firmware.

Message 195 of 810
yunhao
Tutor

Finally....

Its working on my Orbi

still the same setting on 2.4g ch1  5g ch48

Message 196 of 810
JMU1998
Luminary

Many people have reported it even DarrenM commented he will bring to Engineering attention, as to when and if it gets fixed is a separate story 

Message 197 of 810
cyberprashant
Luminary

Re: V1.12.0.18 is out

I haven't had any issues with my Orbi on 1.12.0.18 RBK53 from costco (2 RBS50+RBR50) - I'm a little leary purchasing a second system for family.  I wonder if there's actually more than one version of the RBK50.   (I tried RBK40 recently and the amount of dropouts and restarts was insane I returned it - wonder if it was on 1.12.0.18?). 

Message 198 of 810
Sangwich
Star

Re: V1.12.0.18 is out

Another issue I am having besides the constant disconnect is that I can't connect to the 5Ghz band with the satellite anymore. I used to have 5Ghz turned off because I was having with the August doorbell cam but once I updated to the latest firmware and factory reset, 5Ghz is back on but I can't get on it.

Message 199 of 810
ChuckP
Aspirant

Went to create a thread and noticed this beast...

Just purchased the RBK50 set. Router seems to work fine and the satellite works great when first paired, but as soon as the satellite gets powered cycled it no longer works properly until the whole system is factory reset. The strange thing is, that the satellite's ring does show it is connected (solid blue ring) and detects when it drops connection from the router (pulsing magenta ring), however if you plug into the satellite it doesn't assign IPs, and the Orbi status page shows no connected satellite.

Anyone having sucess downgrading the firmware? If so, does it just auto-update and break itself again?

Message 200 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7