Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware update will brick your router

mondonada
Follower

Firmware update will brick your router

DO NOT INSTALL Latest Firmware  or it will brick your router.  Just innocently clicked update router when the app asked, 5 minutes later blinking red light on the power indicator, so long weekend.  Googled online and it says corrupted firmware, nice, and of course there is only a 12 month warantee on the hardware and no other support unless you pay $149 for a year.    Seriously it is only 16 months old!  Links on the support to manually tftp a replacement are all broken so I wait on general tech support 50+ minutes on hold tech support had me plug it into different outlets, try the power cable from a satellite, try the reset button for 30 seconds then wait one minute.  that is all the confirmation they needed to say my router is now faulty!!!!! will not be buying a netgear product again.  $30 to get next day delivery after it gets processed

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 4
RAIOJR
Aspirant

Re: Firmware update will brick your router

Yeah this firmware makes my modem shut down until a restart, had to go back to Comcast modem and wifi.

Message 2 of 4
Lodingi
Aspirant

My Orbi automatically updated itself to the latest firmware and I have not had any problems. I was worried and annoyed the device updated itself, but relieved it went well. Did you try to reinstall the update? It's possible the download/install was corrupted.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

If uses also manually download the FW update files to there PC and upgrade the satellites first then the router, NG recoommends this method as well.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7