Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware v2.5.1.8

gr8sho
Virtuoso

Firmware v2.5.1

New version available. Based on the description, doesn’t seem worth the disruption.

New Version: V2.5.1.8

Release Notes:
[Bug Fix] Fixes JP/AU/CA region can't firmware update issue. [Bug Fix] Fixes Armor activation failed due to device offline issue.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 101
MikeG63
Apprentice

I shall wait until it's officially posted on the Supprt pages and then take a view.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 101
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Can’t edit original post to point out the update is offered through the iOS app.
Message 3 of 101
MikeG63
Apprentice

Actually if you log in into the web based admin page for the router and satellites it also shows as an available firmware update.

Message 4 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

No meantion of device naming problem. Hmmm. Smiley Frustrated

@gr8sho wrote:
New version available. Based on the description, doesn’t seem worth the disruption.

New Version: V2.5.1.8

Release Notes:
[Bug Fix] Fixes JP/AU/CA region can't firmware update issue. [Bug Fix] Fixes Armor activation failed due to device offline issue.

Message 5 of 101
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I am using v2.3.5.34 and login to orbilogin.com on my router does not show any updates available.

Model NameDevice NameCurrent VersionStatus
RouterRBR50RBR50V2.3.5.34No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS50Satellite1V2.3.5.34No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS50Satellite2V2.3.5.34No new firmware version available.

The Android Orbi App also shows no updates are available.  Odd that only the iOS App would be offering this v2.5.1.8 release.  I have the RBR50v1 with the USB port, so maybe only the RBR50v2 (without the USB port) is seeing this update?

@MikeG63 wrote:

Actually if you log in into the web based admin page for the router and satellites it also shows as an available firmware update.

Message 6 of 101
tagteam
Virtuoso

v2.3.5.30 on RBR50v1 and no updates shown here, either on the iOS app or web interface.

Message 7 of 101
loomis1975
Luminary

My RBR50 and RBS50 autoupdated to 2.5.1.8.

This is the first time my Orbi units have ever updated by themselves without intervention.

The RBS40V, RBS50Y, and RBS40 did not autoupdate to anything newer, and stayed on their 2.3 variants.

Message 8 of 101
MikeG63
Apprentice

I have upgraded to v2.5.1.8 this morning without any dramas and this firmware release appears to have resolved the device naming / icon issue introduced in v2.5.0.38.

Have fun......

Message 9 of 101
rhino-1
Tutor

I updated to V2.5.1.8 this morning. This better fix my daily reboots and connection drops else I'm getting rid of the Orbi system. This has been the worst wireless router I've owned. Before moving to the Orbi mesh system 14 months ago, my Apple Airport Extreme didn't need to be rebooted once in 3 years. I currently have 43 devices connected to our three Orbi's.

Message 10 of 101
Jetdrive
Luminary

Is v2.5.1.8 available for download and manual install? I don't see it in the download section and I would like to give it a try.

Message 11 of 101
MikeG63
Apprentice

Well it was for me 👍

Message 12 of 101
MikeG63
Apprentice

@rhino-1 wrote:

I updated to V2.5.1.8 this morning. This better fix my daily reboots and connection drops else I'm getting rid of the Orbi system. This has been the worst wireless router I've owned. Before moving to the Orbi mesh system 14 months ago, my Apple Airport Extreme didn't need to be rebooted once in 3 years. I currently have 43 devices connected to our three Orbi's.

I do find moaning myrtles really boring!  I have never had to do daily robots and replaced my Apple time capsule (due to reliability issues) with my Orbi system which has been rock solid!  They address different problems and needs and in my experience those who have problems usually are self inflicted!!!!

Message 13 of 101
Jetdrive
Luminary

Are you saying your web interface said there was a new firmware available and you upgraded or did you go to the download area and get it?

Message 14 of 101
rhino-1
Tutor

It sounds like you didn't know how to configure your Apple Time Capsule.

Message 15 of 101
tagteam
Virtuoso

@Jetdrive wrote:

Are you saying your web interface said there was a new firmware available and you upgraded or did you go to the download area and get it?

Yeah, I am hoping we can get some additional details. Currently, I have an RBR50v1 (RBK53 system from Costco), running firmware v2.3.5.30 and when I check for firmware updates in the web UI, I get "No new firmware version available".

Message 16 of 101
MikeG63
Apprentice

@rhino-1 wrote:

It sounds like you didn't know how to configure your Apple Time Capsule.

🤣

Message 17 of 101
MikeG63
Apprentice

For me it came up on both the web interface and IOS app.  On the web interface I selected ‘check’ for updates and it downloaded and showed it as available.  I didn’t have to do anything other than select update all from there.

Message 18 of 101
TarjeiB
Guide

@rhino-1 , the rebooting is a hardware bug. There are LOADS of them with the problem out there, and exchanging them seem to work unless you're unlucky and get a second dud. Get it RMA'd.

I went from hair pulling reboots several times per day (wife started turning off wifi on her phone to play mobile games without interruption) to no more reboots by just exchanging the RBR50.

Message 19 of 101
tagteam
Virtuoso

@MikeG63 wrote:

For me it came up on both the web interface and IOS app.  On the web interface I selected ‘check’ for updates and it downloaded and showed it as available.  I didn’t have to do anything other than select update all from there.

OK, great! Thank you! This is useful information!!

So, it is not really an auto-update in the sense that you had no control over updating to v2.5.1.8 - it was actually just the download that was automatic and even then only after you manually chose to check for updates. Then, the new version was installed only after you manually selected "Update all". 

Message 20 of 101
MikeG63
Apprentice

No, there was no auto update, once the update was downloaded it was ‘manual’ process from there. The good bit was that the device naming issue was fixed - yay 😀
Message 21 of 101
Jetdrive
Luminary

If you had a choice of whether to install it, it was not an auto update. 

Message 22 of 101
CrimpOn
Guru

Could it be that this firmware was made available only to customers in the affected countries? JP/AU/CA ?

Message 23 of 101
MikeG63
Apprentice

Astute
Message 24 of 101
MikeG63
Apprentice

I don’t think so - I am UK based. Might be for those who had previously installed v2.5.0.38.
Message 25 of 101
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7