× NETGEAR would like to hear from you about specific features so we can improve your experience. To participate in this survey please click HERE.
Reply

Firmware v2.5.1

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

Yes, it's common knowledge here in the forums for some users and we always let users know to update the RBS first, then RBR lastly when doing manual FW udpates. However if one does update the RBR first and can't for some reason get the RBS updated, you can directly connect a wired PC to the RBS, factory reset it and access it web page at 192.168.1.250 and then manually send the FW update to the RBS using this method. 


Enjoy. Smiley Wink


@DWHITE4245 wrote:

Other users who update to V2.5.1.8 may like to follow the user manual more closely than I did for manual firmware updating.

My Orbi Router RBR50 wouldn't update manually to V2.5.1.8 until I updated my RBS50 Satellite first Smiley Happy .


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router MK83+ (Router Mode) | and RBK853 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 76 of 101
neerajv
Tutor

Re: Firmware v2.5.1


@tomschmidt wrote:

v2.5.1.8 firmware is officially released, that is why it is available for manual download.  Autoupdates are disabled in firmware somewhere in the v2.3.x tree due to the issues that autoupdates has caused.  I have been running v2.5.1.8 for over a month successfully, but I did have to manually update to it from v2.3.5.30 firmware on my RBR50 router and RBS50 satellites.

 

Note that if you are running v2.5.0.x firmware, it was retracted due to multiple bugs and issues that it had.  I made a suggestion to NG that it should be autoupdated to v2.5.1.8, see https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Orbi-Firmware-v2-5-0-x-needs-auto-updated-to... and Kudo it if you agree that they should implement it.

 


@DWHITE4245 wrote:

I can only assume that the v2.5.1.8 firmware is not officially released yet as my Orbi also did not detect there was any new firmware available.


 


While i can imagine NG disabling the autoupdate feature, but why it doesn't even detect when you perform a check for firmware manually? That seems to be a bug to me, not that it's a big issue to download a firmware through their portal, but it leads to confusion. Hope someone from NG is reading this.

 

 

Message 77 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

Would not be a bug just becuase it's not being detected by Orbi systems. NG may have chosen not to put up on the auto update or detected FW update server and keep it as a manual update for users to choose to update. Or not. Nothing wrong in that. Don't be confused by it. 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router MK83+ (Router Mode) | and RBK853 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 78 of 101
neerajv
Tutor

Re: Firmware v2.5.1


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Would not be a bug just becuase it's not being detected by Orbi systems. NG may have chosen not to put up on the auto update or detected FW update server and keep it as a manual update for users to choose to update. Or not. Nothing wrong in that. Don't be confused by it. 


So then they should remove that button that allows us to perform a check from the web portal 192.168.1.1 . If that button doesn't work and is intended not to work, then what's the purpose of that button?

 

Refer to attached screenshot.

 

-Neeraj

Message 79 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

At somepoint NG may put up FW version up on there update servers that users can press the check for update button to see if something is there and the Orbi may find something. It's up to NG to post FW updates on there servers, or not. 

 

When it's not detected then it's up to users to manually update FW if they choose too. NG seems to be more flexible in this regard. It was just a couple of years ago that NG was pushing each and every FW update which for some users, broke the Orbi operation, thus making users angry. So with all the feedback, NG has relented now and give users more control over FW updates. So lets not look a gift horse in the mouth. Users can update manually, or not. Theres an old saying, "If its not broke, don't fix it!!!" 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router MK83+ (Router Mode) | and RBK853 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 80 of 101
isareeves
Tutor

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

Before I updated to V2.5.1.8 I could see all of my 84 attached wi-fi devices. Since the update, I never see more than 4 attached devices. I have rebooted the router and the three satellites 3 times. Nothing changes! HELP! What happened?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 81 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

Clear all browser caches, exit the browser then relauch and open the page. 

Does a different browser exhibit the same thing?

 

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. 


@isareeves wrote:
Before I updated to V2.5.1.8 I could see all of my 84 attached wi-fi devices. Since the update, I never see more than 4 attached devices. I have rebooted the router and the three satellites 3 times. Nothing changes! HELP! What happened?

 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router MK83+ (Router Mode) | and RBK853 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 82 of 101
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

@isareeves, are you using the iOS app, Android app, or web interface to see the attached devices?  There have been some users reporting that the iOS app has issues properly displaying the devices under the v2.5.1.8 firmware, but the web interface and Android app show them properly.  If you are using the iOS app, then check your device list using the web interface.  If that is your issue as well, there is a thread on the iOS issue under the Application forum. See https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/Orbi-iOS-App-not-working-after-router-upgrade-to-2-5-1-8/m...

 


@isareeves wrote:
Before I updated to V2.5.1.8 I could see all of my 84 attached wi-fi devices. Since the update, I never see more than 4 attached devices. I have rebooted the router and the three satellites 3 times. Nothing changes! HELP! What happened?

 

RBK53 Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System (RBR50v1 router and two RBS50v1 satellites) running v2.5.1.16 firmware
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 83 of 101
isareeves
Tutor

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

Thank you... I use my Orbi with IOS 13.3.1... my devices still do not show up correctly after clearing my cache, reinstalling the app (which I found out was a huge mistake), nor on Chrome or Safari (after clearing the cache). I was about to wipe everything out and start clean until I read that it most likely not make a difference, since I would be restarting on the same version of the firmware. I am too frustrated to try anything else. I guess I will wait for a new firmware update.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 84 of 101
isareeves
Tutor

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

Thank you... I tried all of your suggestions. Still no luck. ☹️
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 85 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

Possible this maybe a app or operation incompatibility issue with the iOS your using. 

 

I would post here and let NG know what your seeing:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

 

In mean time, revert back to v30 and see if the problem solves.

Good Luck.


@isareeves wrote:
Thank you... I use my Orbi with IOS 13.3.1... my devices still do not show up correctly after clearing my cache, reinstalling the app (which I found out was a huge mistake), nor on Chrome or Safari (after clearing the cache). I was about to wipe everything out and start clean until I read that it most likely not make a difference, since I would be restarting on the same version of the firmware. I am too frustrated to try anything else. I guess I will wait for a new firmware update.

 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router MK83+ (Router Mode) | and RBK853 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 86 of 101
bolingde
Guide

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

Ever since upgrading (automatically) to v2.5.1.8 everything on the network has been dropping connection. I mean everything because it's roku's, PC's (windows), phones (android), xbox connected to the satellite. It' fairly often (maybe every 15 minutes) and lasts for maybe 5-15 seconds. Never had any problems before.  

 

I was going to roll back to v2.3.5.30 but when I go to the manual update page it only gives me the option to "check" one satellite so it worries me to try and roll back. 

Two questions.

1. Is anyone else having problems with v2.5.1.8

2. Why would only one satellite be showing up on the manual upgrade page. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 87 of 101
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

2.5 has been out for months.
For expediency, consider a factory reset.

Orbi RBK50 in AP mode, 100/20 Mbps VDSL2, Arris BGW210 gateway

Message 88 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

No issues since v2.5.1.8 loaded on my RBK50. No DNS timeouts, blocked web sites, wifi or internet drops. Device naming is fixed on this version. Though on RBS in a web browser, it shows "unknown" for device names. Most stable version to date. 

 

Factory reset is recommended then setup from scratch. I reset mine after each update and save a new backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 

 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

 


@bolingde wrote:

Ever since upgrading (automatically) to v2.5.1.8 everything on the network has been dropping connection. I mean everything because it's roku's, PC's (windows), phones (android), xbox connected to the satellite. It' fairly often (maybe every 15 minutes) and lasts for maybe 5-15 seconds. Never had any problems before.  

 

I was going to roll back to v2.3.5.30 but when I go to the manual update page it only gives me the option to "check" one satellite so it worries me to try and roll back. 

Two questions.

1. Is anyone else having problems with v2.5.1.8

2. Why would only one satellite be showing up on the manual upgrade page. 


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router MK83+ (Router Mode) | and RBK853 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 89 of 101
bolingde
Guide

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

Thanks for suggesting factory reset,, but I'll think I'll hold off that mess for awhile.
None of the other really matter because it was all working before v2.5.1.8
Message 90 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

It will work again after you reset. 


Good Luck. 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router MK83+ (Router Mode) | and RBK853 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 91 of 101
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Re: Firmware v2.5.1


@bolingde wrote:
Thanks for suggesting factory reset,, but I'll think I'll hold off that mess for awhile.
None of the other really matter because it was all working before v2.5.1.8

What does that even mean, just leave it in a broken state?  You're not getting money back from NG, so swallow hard, fix it and move on.  

Orbi RBK50 in AP mode, 100/20 Mbps VDSL2, Arris BGW210 gateway

Message 92 of 101
bolingde
Guide

Re: Firmware v2.5.1


@gr8sho wrote:

@bolingde wrote:
Thanks for suggesting factory reset,, but I'll think I'll hold off that mess for awhile.
None of the other really matter because it was all working before v2.5.1.8

What does that even mean, just leave it in a broken state?  You're not getting money back from NG, so swallow hard, fix it and move on.  


I rolled it back to v2.3.5.30 and it seems to be working better. For example, HboGo would only stream a few minutes before losing the network on my roku. I've been streaming a movie now for 14 minutes with no problem.  I did the same on my pc for 30+. I had a problem getting the satellites to roll back. When I try to load the image file for the satellites it state that it's a invalid file (or something close to that). I haven't checked out the satellites yet but on via the online interface they seem to be working.

 

I wasn't trying to be short with you just on my phone and didn't want to go into details.  What I meant was all the distance, sqft, etc questions didn't really matter because it had all been working it it's current location, so it had to either be firmware or hardware was failing. 

 

Factory resets are always my last choice. 

 

I did mean the thanks for your help!

Message 93 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

OK, if its working, enjoy. Next time you update though, please try a factory reset if you encounter problems. Sometimes upgrading FW over current configurations can cause problems due to incompatible user configurations. 


Enjoy. 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router MK83+ (Router Mode) | and RBK853 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 94 of 101
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

Re: Firmware v2.5.1


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Sometimes upgrading FW over current configurations can cause problems due to incompatible user configurations. 

This would not be a problem if netgear would store it's configs in text format and parse them at bootup.  It would also mean configs could be restored after a factory reset without reintroducing the problem.


HboGo would only stream a few minutes before losing the network on my roku. I've been streaming a movie now for 14 minutes with no problem. 

FWIW, we are cord cutters and stream for hours on end.  We had intermittent connection failures on 2.5.1.8 and rolled back, but even before a stream could run for hours unless DNS failed.

Message 95 of 101
bolingde
Guide

Re: Firmware v2.5.1


@OrbiPhilip wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Sometimes upgrading FW over current configurations can cause problems due to incompatible user configurations. 

This would not be a problem if netgear would store it's configs in text format and parse them at bootup.  It would also mean configs could be restored after a factory reset without reintroducing the problem.


HboGo would only stream a few minutes before losing the network on my roku. I've been streaming a movie now for 14 minutes with no problem. 

FWIW, we are cord cutters and stream for hours on end.  We had intermittent connection failures on 2.5.1.8 and rolled back, but even before a stream could run for hours unless DNS failed.

 

What version did you go back to? Could you get the Satellites to rollback also.  It kept telling me that the img file was invaild (something like that). So I'm still running v2.5.1.8. on the satellite's and it seems to work great. Streaming movies and and playing xbox. Test configs would be nice. My HBOGo got so bad that after restarting I would barely make it back to the place that failed before it ended again (It starts back a few seconds before it failed, may be emptying the buffer). HBO was the worst Disney+ would just "connect failed" but still run (most of the time). 

 


 

Message 96 of 101
bolingde
Guide

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

Just an extra note. 

 

I have support on my router and chose email support from Netgear, but they seem to be AWOL. I understand the virus, etc but I would think that a tech company could handle "work from home". I contacted 3 times, have a support # etc, but no contact. 

Message 97 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

Try sending a forum Moderator a PM.

@Christian_R and

@Blanca_O 

 

NG isnt the only company effected by the virus. 


@bolingde wrote:

Just an extra note. 

 

I have support on my router and chose email support from Netgear, but they seem to be AWOL. I understand the virus, etc but I would think that a tech company could handle "work from home". I contacted 3 times, have a support # etc, but no contact. 


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router MK83+ (Router Mode) | and RBK853 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 98 of 101
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

What version did you go back to? Could you get the Satellites to rollback also.

v2.3.5.30. And yes. There are two different files, make sure you have both.
The satellite isn't intuitive. Click upgrade on the main screen, then upload.
Message 99 of 101
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

NG won't help, would be akin to chasing windmills.  Sorry.  
Staying at an older level is an option now, but it didn't used to be that way.  We would wake up to find our home network damaged and unrecoverable without resorting to a factory reset.  I'd have to stop whatever I was doing and spend the better part of a day to get things right.  
Should always be prepared to rebuild the configuration manually and not rely on backups as they may reintroduce a problem.
These are my thoughts after owning Orbi for more than a year.  It's been a challenge to keep running after every firmware release.  I deal with it because the hardware itself is excellent.   

Orbi RBK50 in AP mode, 100/20 Mbps VDSL2, Arris BGW210 gateway

Message 100 of 101
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E