Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS316EPP - VLAN config for Guest network

Harmansend
Aspirant

GS316EPP - VLAN config for Guest network

I just bought a GS316EPP switch to replace an IntelliNet switch which worked well, except that the fan goes bad after 1 year, and after having one replaced under warranty I've given up with it.

I have three WAPs and the Guest network is hard wired to tag VLAN 1003. This is fine witth no VLAN settings on the switch. The Guest network transactions get passed to the router which allocates a sub net of 192.168.13.0/24, but the rest of the network is on the default domain, 192.168.1.0/24. I really want to break out my iot devices on to a different subnet, say VLAN 30, and change my other home network to VLAN 15. Then I can set about setting firewall rules to prevent cross VLAN traffic.

Anyy suggestions how I do this on this switch? 

Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Harmansend wrote:

Any suggestions how I do this on this switch? 

Which router is this switch connected to?

Message 2 of 7
Harmansend
Aspirant

A Ubiquiti edgerouter-4

Message 3 of 7
Harmansend
Aspirant

And i guess my real question is how to tag the untagged messages coming from the WAP withou compromising the already tagged guest network messages

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Harmansend wrote:

And i guess my real question is how to tag the untagged messages coming from the WAP without compromising the already tagged guest network messages

Wireless access points generally have no concept of VLANs.  They accept WiFi connections, pass the DHCP requests on to the router, and then hand the IP information back to the device.  WiFi Access points that are part of an integrated package may have an internal method of tagging primary and guest WiFi networks, but that is built into the router/satellite connectivity.

If every device connecting to some of these WiFi access points is clearly "guest", then I would think that port based VLAN does what you want. Every untagged packet coming into the port gets tagged with the guest VLAN, thus the Edgerouter knows what to do with it.

But, if the WiFi access point accepts both guest and (non-guest?) connections, you're screwed.

Message 5 of 7
Harmansend
Aspirant

These WAPS plug 1003 as the tag, and it can't be changed. Other traffic on the WAP is untasted

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Harmansend wrote:

These WAPS plug 1003 as the tag, and it can't be changed. Other traffic on the WAP is untagged

I think it's page 53 of the User Manual:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GS316EP/GS316EP_GS316EPP_UM_EN.pdf?_ga=2.195594795.62248... 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7