Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Give up on Orbi...the worst...back to nighthawk!

Kdragan
Initiate

Give up on Orbi...the worst...back to nighthawk!

Purchased Orbi and satellite with high hopes based on tech hype and desire to manage growing family connections...28 devices and counting.  A simple upstairs/downstairs need, so had high hopes.  I'm experienced with technology but still a very buggy setup...can't imagine a newbie surviving the ordeal.  Once setup, constant internet and satellite drops over several weeks and despite a number or firmware upgrades.  When have to reconnect, have to run back and forth resetting modem, router and satellite (unlike usually just router) and hope satellite connects (it never does) meanwhile, router keeps dropping internet.  For all the hassle, I've seen no benefits in connection speed over my past nighthawk system, and family hates constant internet outages for no reason.  Any power outages and the entire thing has to be reworked through, as opposed to just rebooting and coming online by itself.  This thing is not ready for market and is going on electronic junk pile. For more $ than the top nighthawk, this is a joke.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 18

hi

i suggest you have a lemon as thats not how the orbi works here , i recommend you return it and get a replacement as the orbi here has been online and connected for over a month without issue on router or sats

the current 1.4 version fw has also helped a lot with stability for other users

i think more its a case of your got a bad one rather than the orbi is junk as we are seeing far more good posts than bad here on the forum and in reviews

Message 2 of 18

Agree ... my experience has been that the orbi signal is rock solid.  Far reaching, no dropouts.  Very pleased with the performance ... and I came to orbi from a 4 unit eero system.  orbi has been very stable ... eero would dropout quite frequently even on their newest 2.0 firmware.

Message 3 of 18
murchman
Apprentice

I have unplugged my satalite and router a number of times over the past week moving them around the house testing different locations with no issues. I haven't had any Wi-Fi issues at all and I have 35 wi-fi devices and 6 LAN devices running on it. This system has been the best network I have used and I now have very strong Wi-Fi throughout the my two story house.

Before you give up, you should return them and try another set.

Message 4 of 18
cyberprashant
Luminary

agree haven't had any issues here.  Recommending orbi to my friend (but wondering if he's not tech savvy will it update f/w itself or is there a glitch in initial f/w update itself?)

Message 5 of 18

if it comes with anything lower that v1.3 fw you would need to manually install the 1.3 fw first then auto update to 1.4

Message 6 of 18
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Kdragan

Are you still having issues with orbi or have to exchanged it with a new orbi system?

DarrenM

Message 7 of 18
thedonva
Guide

Sorry to hear that, I've had a couple hickups but overall am very pleased with coverage and speed...

Message 8 of 18
Ralph052
Guide

Message 9 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Kdragan wrote:

.....................For more $ than the top nighthawk, this is a joke.

it's still a NG

Message 10 of 18
thedonva
Guide

I tried two of these about a year apart. Not a fan. I switched back to Google Wi-Fi.
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 11 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

3 months in and no problems with my Orbi system. Lots of gaming and video streaming. Zero issues.

Message 12 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

3 months in and no problems with my Orbi system. Lots of gaming and video streaming. Zero issues.

compared to total ownership time...??

Message 13 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes.

Message 14 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes.

walk lightly......you're due

Message 15 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Im still waiting. Baited breathe all the way.

Message 16 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Im still waiting. Baited breathe all the way.

make sure you do a factory reset.  we're all only a FW update away.

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Just depends if I have too or not. I'll try a dirty upgrade first. If I see a problem, then i'll go thru what I need to. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 15 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7