Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HELP! Orbi losing packets so hard

seave
Follower

HELP! Orbi losing packets so hard

Orbi setup: Router Mode, wired connected to ISP given router not directly to ISP modem.

My orbi (RBK30) had been running well for six months, but since weeks ago, It loses packets very bad, online gaming is not playable, Skype chatting disconnects very often, then when I tested the ping. It's about 6 - 10% loss.

Below result was from the test right after I rebooted the orbi.

Packets: Sent = 664, Received = 619, Lost = 45 (6% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 205ms, Average = 5ms

Wired devices are running well, also when I switch wifi connection to ISP wifi router, it does not lose packets, online gaming is playable. ISP wifi loses 1% packets which was the reason why I purchased Orbi wifi.

I tried several ways to troubleshoot that issue which did not help.

1. downgrade the firmware from V 2.2.1.210 to V2.0.0.56

2. upgrate the firmware from V2.0.0.56 to V 2.1.4.16

3. switched back and forth between Router and AP mode

I've been trying a lot, couldn't find a way to really solve this issue. Any tips and ideas are appreciated

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: HELP! Orbi losing packets so hard

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

How are you measuring the packets? 

What devices do you have online? 

Did you factory reset the router after downgrading or upgrading the FW? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Message 2 of 3
ekhalil
Master

Re: HELP! Orbi losing packets so hard

@seave wrote:

Orbi setup: Router Mode, wired connected to ISP given router not directly to ISP modem.

My orbi (RBK30) had been running well for six months, but since weeks ago, It loses packets very bad, online gaming is not playable, Skype chatting disconnects very often, then when I tested the ping. It's about 6 - 10% loss.

Below result was from the test right after I rebooted the orbi.

Packets: Sent = 664, Received = 619, Lost = 45 (6% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 205ms, Average = 5ms

Wired devices are running well, also when I switch wifi connection to ISP wifi router, it does not lose packets, online gaming is playable. ISP wifi loses 1% packets which was the reason why I purchased Orbi wifi.

I tried several ways to troubleshoot that issue which did not help.

1. downgrade the firmware from V 2.2.1.210 to V2.0.0.56

2. upgrate the firmware from V2.0.0.56 to V 2.1.4.16

3. switched back and forth between Router and AP mode

I've been trying a lot, couldn't find a way to really solve this issue. Any tips and ideas are appreciated

Two things that I can think of:

1. That you have two routers. Please make sure that your ISP router is bridged or if not possible set Orbi in AP mode.

2. What type of wired devices you have connected to Orbi? Any mesh speakers (e.g. Sonos)?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7