Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hardwired a Orbi RBS20 satellite with Cat5e and still .8 to 19 mbps but router is getting 230 mbps.

BillBirmingham
Follower

Hardwired a Orbi RBS20 satellite with Cat5e and still .8 to 19 mbps but router is getting 230 mbps.

One of my 2 satellites went to an out building but it was only getting between .8 to 19 mbps of speed. I thus spent a lot of money running a cat 5e cable (ethernet cable) from my router to this satellite which took a 60 foot cable. I am getting the same speed. My router is getting 230 mbps of speed. With my satellite being hardwired, should I not get much better speed on the satellite?

I bought test equipment and the cable and the 2 connectors tested good.  I updated the firmware recently.   What can I do?  

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Hardwired a Orbi RBS20 satellite with Cat5e and still .8 to 19 mbps but router is getting 230 mb

@BillBirmingham wrote:

I bought test equipment and the cable and the 2 connectors tested good.  I updated the firmware recently.   What can I do?  

Typical consumer test equipment will confirm that the "pairs" of wire go to the correct pins in the ethernet jacks (which are also rated for Cat5e, correct?)  They do not actually test whether the installation meets the technical specs.

One quick test is to look at the Orbi web interface, the Advanced Tab, and click on the box labelled "Show Statistics".  The Orbi port that is connected to the satellite should show "1000 Full".

Another test is to run a temporary ethernet patch cable from the router to the satellite.  Just drag it out  a window, through doorways, whatever.  Amazon sells 100ft Cat5e cables for under $20.  (There is even a 160ft. cable for $17.99.  Probably better to measure the length needed before ordering.)  I keep a 50ft. cable on hand for just such experiments (inside my small house, and only when the family is unlikely to trip over it.)

It might be worth checking the satellite itself.  Put it next to the router, connected with a short ethernet patch cable.  If speed is that terrible in the same room, then the satellite is suspect.

How is speed being measured?

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Hardwired a Orbi RBS20 satellite with Cat5e and still .8 to 19 mbps but router is getting 230 mb

CAT6 or higher cabling is preferred. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7