× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Have I made a mistake

Tulpy
Aspirant

Have I made a mistake

Just got an Orbi RBK53. Read nothing but trouble for Simplisafe cameras and 2.4ghz gear.
So will it work with Simplisafe or should I just return it when it arrives? Or will the turn off 5g and decrease power trick work to get things connected?
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Have I made a mistake

I have an Orbi RBK50 with Simplisafe Alarm system.  Setup was tedious (because the WiFi password has to be entered on a numeric keyboard - keep pressing a key while it cycles through lower case and upper case characters, then on to the next character. Reminded me of the (very) old days of creating texts on a Motorola Flip Phone.)  Worked instantly and has ever since.

Never bought the Simplisafe camera.  Have too many cameras already.

Oh, and I am absolutely certain that the alarm base unit is connected to WiFi because every time I reboot the router while fooling around to answer a question, I get both a text and an email "WiFi connection lost."   then "WiFi connection restored."

No trick at all.  Just follow the directions.

Message 2 of 4
Tulpy
Aspirant

Frankly, all the Internet complaining scared me a little. Happy to report everything was seemless and easy. RBK53 hooked to everything on its own. I named my new wifi same as my old and same password. Everything just hooked up, updates, reboots and still all Simplisafe devices etc. reconnected.
Doorbell cams, outdoor cams, base, everything.
Only 3 hours in after install, but so far,.....tickled pink.
Thanks for your feedback and reply.
Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

In some ways, the "Internet of Things" (IoT) resembles the Wild West with competing standards, competing technologies (WiFi vs. Bluetooth vs. Zigbee) competing platforms (Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa, Google Home, etc.) and companies rushing out products with networking hardware/software they bought from lord knows who.  Once they have produced 100,000 gizmos that are now "out there", consumers are faced with trying to make sense of things.

After a consumer has filled a house full of devices that are built on older technology, it is a challenge to determine when the advantages of the Latest and Greatest are sufficient to be worth a Fork Lift Upgrade to new networking equipment.  There is now one iPhone in my house capable of WiFi6 (nothing else).  Suppose we get a new laptop that does WiFi6 (or WiFi6E or maybe WiFi7).  Will a movie stream faster on my TV?  Will that laptop be more enjoyable to use?

My six year old RBR50 system (with a couple of RBS40V (voice) will probably be around until after Netgear declares it End of Life.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7