Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help in changing ethernet name and RBR50 wifi name.

u70115
Aspirant

Help in changing ethernet name and RBR50 wifi name.

My ethernet name is called "Fios-7SG9Y" and we name our wifi name from the RBR50 the same "Fios-7SG9Y".  I am experiencing a conflict with my computer which causes it to hang sometimes.  I have also tried selecting the WiFi connection from the list of WiFi "Fios-7SG9Y" and it connects, but later on the computer which it over to the ethernet connection name "Fios-7SG9Y 2".   The system auto define this name because I didn't make it up.

I would like to know how I can resolve this conflict.   I would like to leave the ethernet connection name the same "Fios-7SG9Y" and change the WiFi name of the RBR50 routers to a different name like "Fios-7SG9Y-5G".   I noticed in the Orbi NetGear phone App has a section called "WiFi Settings" and there is a "WIFI Network Name (SSID) and it has "Fios-7SG9Y" enter in there, with the Network Key below.

If I change that WIFI Network Name to "Fios-7SG9Y-5G", will that changes the WIFI network name of my RBR50????   Is this all I may need to do???

If yes, then I just need to change the wifi connection name that are connected to the wifi before the change.

Your help is deeply appreciated!!!!!

Gary

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
u70115
Aspirant

Re: Help in changing ethernet name and RBR50 wifi name.

Thank You for the answer to help be change ethernet name for my RBR50 wifi name.

Everything seems to work correctly now (just before me making any changes to my ethernet name).  There was a update to Win 10 just before I was going to try the ethernet name change, and after the Win 10 update, everything seems to work correctly with no conflict.  I was testing everything after the update for a week, and I believe Microsoft Win 10 update may have resolved the issue!!!!!

I do appreciate the process for me to change the ethernet name for my RBR50 WIFI as I will make sure the name don't conflict too!!!!

I appreciate all the help you have shown me!!!!

Thank You!!!

Gary

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? There a built in router at the modem/ONT by chance? If so, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 2 of 7
u70115
Aspirant

Thank You for your Responds!  I will try to give you the additional information you sort of wanted to know to help me more.

My internet access is supplied by Frontier and the internet access is fiber optics and converted by frontier to a coax cable and goes directly to a modem by Greenwave Model Fios-G1100.  Our house then connect a ethernet cable connecting the output from the Modem and connect to the input of the switching router input.

Each of the switching router output are hardwired throught out the house and I connected the Orbi RBR50 (1 of 3) to the outlet of 1 of the ethernet cannel from the switch and connected to the Orbi input.

The other 2 Orbi router form a connection between the other 2 Orbi.

I checked the WiFi Setting of the Orbi and it is set to Fios-7SG9Y with my network key.

My computer has the ability to hardwired connect to the ethernet and also WIFI connections.  Since I made my WiFi connect the same, I am encounter a problem with my system.

If my connection is OK, then can you tell me know to created a new WiFi name??????

I lost most of my documentation, but I did download the instruction manual from the website.

Your help is deeply appreciated!!!

Gary

Message 3 of 7
u70115
Aspirant

I forgot to let you know my firmware version # = v2.7.2.104

Gary

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

For the Orbi system, log into the RBRs web page and under Basic tab/Wireless settings you can change the SSID name to anything you want. Set a new password here as well. 

Message 5 of 7
u70115
Aspirant

Thank You for the answer to help be change ethernet name for my RBR50 wifi name.

Everything seems to work correctly now (just before me making any changes to my ethernet name).  There was a update to Win 10 just before I was going to try the ethernet name change, and after the Win 10 update, everything seems to work correctly with no conflict.  I was testing everything after the update for a week, and I believe Microsoft Win 10 update may have resolved the issue!!!!!

I do appreciate the process for me to change the ethernet name for my RBR50 WIFI as I will make sure the name don't conflict too!!!!

I appreciate all the help you have shown me!!!!

Thank You!!!

Gary

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7