Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

High Latency with Orbi Router RBR50

christianjb
Aspirant

I have an Orbi RBR50 and it's performance wildly varies, I normally get 130 down and 15 up, but my latency is always 100+ when I use the google speed test. In games though it's usually around 40-50 ms but it can spike up to over 300 ms making it unplayable. I tested on a laptop across the house, a desktop right next to the router, and a phone right next to the router, all wireless, both the desktop and laptop have the same down and up, but both have a latency of around 130, on the phone however it says the latency is only 20, which is what I would expect. What exactly is going on here is it a problem with the desktop and pc or the router. 

I'm thinking maybe the phone is connected to the satellite and the desktop and pc is connected to the main router, or vice versa. Would there be any way to connect to the orbi sattelite manually?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
guzzijason2
Guide

Re: High Latency with Orbi Router RBR50

How are you measuring latency, and are all the devices your testing latency on measuring the same destination? Its only a fair comparison if the test is the same on all devices, otherwise you could be comparing apples to oranges. And once the packets leave your gateway, the Orbi is going to have no influence on latency caused by upstream hops.

If you have a tool like 'mtr' (available via homebrew on Mac), it will help identify exactly which hop (or hops) is causing latency. If you don't have 'mtr', then basic 'traceroute' will help as well. If the latency is coming from within your home network, then something definitely isn't right, as I wouldn't expect latency there to be more than single-digit ms, internally.  Latency from my laptop, to the Orbi seems to average around 5ms, for example.

Message 2 of 9
christianjb
Aspirant

I'm measuring latency through the google speedtest which is the first result in googling "speedtest", and how can I make sure I'm connected to the same router/satellite, because as far as I know I can't connect to the satellite on my own. Running some tests such as running a traceroute to google I get around 20 ms, and mtr shows no packet loss. Yet despite all that I consistently get huge spikes and latency. Not sure why I get such high latency when doing the normal speedtest on google.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try difference speed test sites besides google. Try Ookla's and DSLreports and your ISPs speed test site if they have one.

Always speed test wired connections with the router directly.

Disable any PC security software and browser add-ons temporarily while testing.

Try different browsers.

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too?

Message 4 of 9
guzzijason2
Guide

The problem with those tests is that they don't give you the complete picture. The latency number they give you is the total end-to-end latency. There could be literally donzens of router hops between you and the destination - the first of which being the Orbi - and any one (or more) of them could be causing the large latency. Only something like 'mtr' or 'traceroute' is going to help you figure out where exactly it's coming from. Without that info, all you can do is guess. And if you jump through hoops trying to tune the Orbi, when the problem is really with your ISP (or elsewhere), you're simly wasting your time.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

One can use pingplotter to get a better idea of there system:

http://www.badmodems.com/Tools.htm

Needs to be ran with out the router in line, directly connected to the modem, then with the router inline with the modem.

Message 6 of 9
Ginotonix2
Aspirant

Hi, I searched for high latency problem för Orbi and found this thread. I have exactly the same problem as the original poster. I have RBK50 kit with 1 satellite. When running ping -t google.com on my 3 computers, the ping becomes lower and more stable when turning off the satellite. The ping when satellite is off is stable below 25ms but when the satellite is on the ping is about 40-50 and spikes to 300ms and even 3000+ms, resulting in lost packet. I have the latest firmware. Any ideas how to address this without turning off satellite?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 7 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@Ginotonix2 wrote:
Hi, I searched for high latency problem för Orbi and found this thread. I have exactly the same problem as the original poster. I have RBK50 kit with 1 satellite. When running ping -t google.com on my 3 computers, the ping becomes lower and more stable when turning off the satellite. The ping when satellite is off is stable below 25ms but when the satellite is on the ping is about 40-50 and spikes to 300ms and even 3000+ms, resulting in lost packet. I have the latest firmware. Any ideas how to address this without turning off satellite?

There must be something wrong with your Satellite to cause this.

What wired devices do you have connected to the Satellite? Any mesh speakers (e.g. Sonos)?

Please test by disconnecting all wired devices and see if things change. 

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?

How is the satllite connected? Wired or wireless? Try both methods with the satellite.

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/quot-Reverse-quot-Daisy-Chain-issue-any-update/m-p/1653439
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Slow-Wired-WAN-after-2-2-1-210-Upgrade/m-p/1667058/...

@Ginotonix2 wrote:

Message 9 of 9