Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

High and Unstable Network latency on wired connection from SXS50 to main router SXR50

sunflyhome
Aspirant

High and Unstable Network latency on wired connection from SXS50 to main router SXR50

I have one SXR50 and 2 SXS50. From one SXS50, a desktop is connected via a cat6 cable to port 4. When I made a ping test to router, the network latency was extremely unstable. When I connected same desktop to router ports, the issue was eliminated.

Unfortunately, my desktop has to be placed away from router location. SXS50 and SXR50 only have 40 feet with one wall between.

All main and satellite routers have been upgraded to Firmware Version: V4.3.0.140

I was not able to find any QA from community. Any hint is appreciated.

ping 192.168.1.1 -n 1000

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 359, Received = 359, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 1775ms, Average = 143ms

Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: High and Unstable Network latency on wired connection from SXS50 to main router SXR50

This system appears to bundle a 5-year subscription to Insight support.  It would be interesting to hear what Netgear support says about this issue. From the Product Data Sheetpage 3:

CrimpOn_0-1675060094831.png

The SXR50 system uses a 5G WiFi channel to connect the router to both satellites, which means that when any of the three is transmitting, the other two must "wait their turn".  Because there are only two 80Mbps WiFi channels available in the US (and also in Europe), any nearby tri-band WiFi systems may also be using the same channels, which would result in more contention for available radio time.

In a normal residential environment (not an apartment building with 20 nearby WiFi systems (above, below, and next door), those results do not seem reasonable.  I tested my original RBR50 system and found average pings across the WiFi backhaul link to average 3-4ms.  An average of 143 seems unreasonable.  It is not unusual for the very first ping to have a long response time, but 1775 averaged over 1,000 would add at most 1.75ms to the average.

Should probably ask, "Is this a matter of intellectual curiosity?"  (I love to go "down the rabbit hole".)  Or, is there an actual performance problem that if affecting use of the system?

Message 2 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Re: High and Unstable Network latency on wired connection from SXS50 to main router SXR50

No doubts, an additional wired connection from the SXS50 to the SXR50 would provide a much better connectivity.

Hard to guess what impact this unknown wall has for the wireless backhaul. Well possible, either a weak 5 GHz channel is in use, or the probably well loaded and lower performing 2.4 GHz. Doesn't the Web UI provide more insight on the wireless backhaul connectivity? 

Message 3 of 9
sunflyhome
Aspirant

There is a door actually always open. Wall is standard 2x4 with 1/2 drywall at both side.

UI doesn't provide any info about back haul performance

Message 4 of 9
sunflyhome
Aspirant

After I did factory reset on router. It seems the problem was gone.

In previous config,I enabled wireless 1,2,3. All of 3 have enabled separation of 2.4 and 5G. Bandwidth usage control was not enabled.

After reset, I didn't enabled wireless 2 and 3. Only wireless in active. I also enabled separation of 2.4 and 5G. 28ms max is acceptable and 2ms average are perfect.

I have no intention to enable wireless 2 and 3 for now. I used to like to have all of my Iot (sensors, cams...) use wireless 2 or 3. Due to the issue I had, It's not worthy spiting them.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 300, Received = 300, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 2ms

Message 5 of 9
sunflyhome
Aspirant

After 1 day, the lagging issue came back. It's not about wireless segments at all. I found both of my satellites were using 2.4G as backhaul connection.
Here is what I tried to do based on https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Wi-Fi-5-AC-and-Orbi-with/RBS50-Connection-Type-2-4Ghz/m-p/2236...
1. Lower 2.4G to 50% at Advanced wireless setup
2. Add a new SSID in wireless1 only for management purpose.
3. Move my general SSID to wireless 2 and enable VLAN to lot(30). I don't think most of y devices need to talk to each other.4.

4. Set all LAN ports at router and satellites to Access mode with Vlan default. I don't have managed switch at home.I only have wired devices asa gaming PC, ip phone and printer.

Message 6 of 9
sunflyhome
Aspirant

After 1 day, I noticed one satellite switched to 2.4G. I still don't understand why Orbi doesn't provide UI feature to allow 5G enforcement. Is there any factor 2.4G is better than 5G?

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Orbi systems switch to 2.4G WiFi backhaul only when the 5G backhaul signal is too poor to be reliable.

Something is affecting the 5G backhaul signal.

Changing the Transmit Power Level in the WiFi Advanced Settings affects the user facing radios, not the backhaul signal.

Message 8 of 9
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

2.4G/5G BH switching is automatically decided by an algorithm, which detect if 5G is good to use at the momement.

when the issue happens, can you go to http://IP/debug.htm to save debug files and PM for me? I want to investigate if 5G band has some problem there or this is a firmware bug.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements