Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to tell if satellite is hard wired?

sandman512
Apprentice

How to tell if satellite is hard wired?

So, quick question.  I just hooked up my ORBI mesh system and I am able to hard wire each of the satellites.  While I plugged it in, is there a way to check that the system is up and running correctly?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
sandman512
Apprentice

Re: How to tell if satellite is hard wired?

So, picked up a new cat5 cable this morning.  Follwoed the picture in the manual and BINGO, all hard wired up.  Thank you!

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 19

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Log into the RBRs web page and check the Connect Clients page. Status will show wired or 5G wireless.

Also can be seen on the Orbi app. There will be a line between the RBS and RBR. If they are wireless connected, the line will be a dashed line between the RBS and RBR. 

Message 2 of 19
sandman512
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply.  They are dotted, BUT i just wired them via cable.

Message 3 of 19
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Have you rebooted the satellites after making their wired backhaul connection? If not, then they may still be using the wireless backhaul until the satellites are rebooted.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Are they directly connected to the RBR or running thru a LAN network switch? 

@sandman512 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  They are dotted, BUT i just wired them via cable.

Message 5 of 19
sandman512
Apprentice

So, the RBR is to a switch and from there to the satellite.  On that first satellite I conencted my SONOS system and that succesfullly created it's own SONOS NET.

Message 6 of 19
sandman512
Apprentice

CORRECTION: I wired a cable directly from the router to a satellite.

Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS need to be connected directly to the RBR or via a non managed non green ethernet Gb LAN switch. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

RBS can't be connected to any other device. 

Message 8 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

SO both are connected directly to the RBR or is there a switch in between one of the RBS an RBR? 

Message 9 of 19
sandman512
Apprentice

So, after doing some trouble shooting, I found that the cable from the Router to the first satellite was no good.  I swapped out wires and the first satellite is hard wired; confirmed via the app.  I than ran a wire from the first satellite to the second, confirmed that wire was good, BUT it does not show up as hard wired.  

Message 10 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

You might factory reset, then power OFF the RBS, remove it from the RBRs web page, then turn ON RBS and resync it. Try this while in same room with the RBR.

Message 11 of 19
sandman512
Apprentice

Once again, thank you for the assistance.  So, looking at the link you posted, one thing I noticed is that I do not have my wires configured as they are depicted in the picture(daisy chain).

Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. so Each RBS is directly connected to the back of the RBR right? 

Message 13 of 19
sandman512
Apprentice

So, I have a wire from the router to the satellite #1 and a wire from #1 to #2.  The wires are just plugged into the back, BUT NOT in the positions shown in the pictures.  FWIW, I tested the wire that goes to #2 and it was working(hooked up to my mac and was getting internet.)

Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

And daisy chain is disabled on the RBR? Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

What happens if you directly connect #2 to RBR? 

Message 15 of 19
sandman512
Apprentice

Unfortunately, I had to leave for work.  When I get home, I am going to redo the wires as in the pics.  I will post back here with the results.

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 19
sandman512
Apprentice

So, picked up a new cat5 cable this morning.  Follwoed the picture in the manual and BINGO, all hard wired up.  Thank you!

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope the CAT5 was a CAT5e. CAT5 is older and doesn't offer great performances. CAT6 is highly recommended. 

However glad the new cable worked. Seemed like you had a bad cable in the mix. 

Please mark your post thread and solved so other will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7