× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I get mad with password problems

gabier2
Guide

I get mad with password problems

Hello everybody,

Relying on past experience with Netgear products, I expected a quick installation of my brand new Orbi system.

The start up of the router and satellite and their appairing worked quickly. The troubles began when I tried to login into the router, especially to set connection details to my ISP. I launched my browser (Netscape) typed in the 10.0.0.1 address and got a login window which said approximately "Authentification required. The site says 'NETGEAR Orbi'". and prompted to enter an id and a password. I confidently entered "admin" and "password" as usual, but it failed. I tried also "NETGEAR" and "Orbi", and also "NETGEAR Orbi" and "password" but all of these failed.

Supposing that maybe I had entered a password in the preceding start process, I tried to remember but I did not succeed.

Then I entered the "lost password" process. The system asks for the serial number of the router, which is written in very small characters under the router. I entered this serial number at least 10 times, trying to figure out if the B or the 6 were not a 8, and all sorts of variations, but the system kept telling me that my text was wrong and did not match the information written inside the router.

I tried also with a smartphone and a wired laptop, With no more success.

Then I gave up and removed all the Orbi system and reinstalled the former access point.

What is to be done ?

🙂 gabier

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: I get mad with password problems

Yes do a factory reset on the router and use firefox browser and navigate to 192.168.1.1 and the set up wizard will be waiting for you. Walk thru this wizard. Thats all that needed.

@gabier2 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Factory reset the Orbi router and connect a wired PC to the router and walk thru the setup wizard.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem?

OK, I will do this, but what is the  "setup wizard" ? How do I execute it ? Does it come automatically after the factory reset ?

The Mfr is "Sagemcom Broadband SAS" (a french Mfr), it is let by my ISP (ORANGE) with the name "LiveBox 4"

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you walk thru the setup wizard and input a new PW for the admin account. This is one of the requirements during this process.

Factory reset the Orbi router and connect a wired PC to the router and walk thru the setup wizard.

Message 2 of 15
dokG
Aspirant

I have the same problem with the admin password access.  The app was humming along fine for the past six months and then it asked me to provide the password login.  I used the default password that came with the system and that has been used since I received the system, but it locks me out.  When I go online to change it, it asks me security questions that I have never answered.   

I rebooted the system, but no luck there.  Do I have to do a new set up (I hope not as the first time around was painful).

Thanks.

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Walk thru the setup wizard and input a new PW for the admin account. This is one of the requirements during this process.

@dokG wrote:

I have the same problem with the admin password access.  The app was humming along fine for the past six months and then it asked me to provide the password login.  I used the default password that came with the system and that has been used since I received the system, but it locks me out.  When I go online to change it, it asks me security questions that I have never answered.   

I rebooted the system, but no luck there.  Do I have to do a new set up (I hope not as the first time around was painful).

Thanks.

Message 4 of 15
gabier2
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

OK, I will do this, but what is the  "setup wizard" ? How do I execute it ? Does it come automatically after the factory reset ?

The Mfr is "Sagemcom Broadband SAS" (a french Mfr), it is let by my ISP (ORANGE) with the name "LiveBox 4"

Message 5 of 15
gabier2
Guide

Sorry, case850, it was probably and old reminiscence. It was of course Thunderbird !!!

Message 6 of 15
gabier2
Guide

This orbi system drives me really mad :). My prefered browser is really FIREFOX.

Message 7 of 15
gabier2
Guide

@Case850 wrote:

Orbi is a Wireless Hotspot "box drop", don't expect too much and you should be fine.

I do not understand what a Hotspot "box drop" is. I expect only to find a way to install the system.

🙂 gabier

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes do a factory reset on the router and use firefox browser and navigate to 192.168.1.1 and the set up wizard will be waiting for you. Walk thru this wizard. Thats all that needed.

@gabier2 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 9 of 15
gabier2
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

OK, it works. In addition to navigate to 10.0.0.1 (my internet modem has the address 192.168.1.1) I had to empty theFirefox cache.

Then all happened as you said. The wizard indeed set up everything.

Thanks for help.

🙂 gabier

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

You may want to use the modems DMZ for the Orbi router if your using the Orbi router in router mode. Helps with double NAT conditons. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 15
dokG
Aspirant

Thanks.  I did end up resetting and re-registering via Google Chrome.  All seems to be functioning with the exception of the app able to do an Internet speedtest.  I will consider Firefox if I have to do this next time.

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems the the mobile app is having problems:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Connection-Failure-on-Speed-Test/td-p/1548208/jump-to/first-un...

Use speedtest.net app on android or iphone as a alternative speed test app.

@dokG wrote:

Thanks.  I did end up resetting and re-registering via Google Chrome.  All seems to be functioning with the exception of the app able to do an Internet speedtest.  I will consider Firefox if I have to do this next time.

Message 13 of 15
gabier2
Guide

@Case850 wrote:

The Orbi and Orbi Pro are Wireless Hotspot "box drop" products. In other words you just "box drop" the device in to provide quick Wi-Fi access with without the need for wiring. The downside of Orbi and Orbi Pro is their lack of reliability, performance and features.

Thank you for explanation. What do you mean with "The downside of Orbi and Orbi Pro is their lack of reliability, performance and features." ? About the features, I appreciate especially the Wifi network all over my home with the same SSID. Before, I must have multiple access points to overcome the concrete walls, but the downside was that the home wifi apps got lost in those different SSIDs. Now GORBI seems to do the same job quite better.

🙂 gabier

Message 14 of 15
gabier2
Guide

One day. That's why I wrote "seems to". Of course it is to be observed in the long term.

What downsides are you thinking this system presents ?

🙂 Gabier

@Case850 wrote:

@gabier2

How long have you used Orbi?

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7