Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Improving my home network

Crofty7
Aspirant

Improving my home network

Hi,

I currently own a ReadyNAS RN212 with 2 2TB discs. I dont use the NAS as a back up device, i use it more as a server. All my documents, photos and videos are stored on it. I was under the assumption that if everything was stored on the NAS it would back up my data on the second hard drive through the RAID thingy? I have recently noticed that i only have 30% disc space left and need to increase the storage capacity of my NAS. However, before i do that i would like to improve my home setup because accessing the NAS is a bit hit and miss and when i try and open a photo or video it takes ages. I have a BT home hub 6 which is connected to a sky router (Sky Q wouldn't connect to the home hub 100% of the time so the sky man installed the sky router), all my devices connect with the homehub. I have a fairly large house so i use Solwise plug in wifi extenders around the house. I plan to change this.

What i would like to do, and i need advise on this, is purchase a set of three Orbi RBK53 mesh wifi routers and remove the BT home hub and sky router. Install the Orbi around the house, one being next to the NAS. Increase the storage capacity of the NAS from 2 x 2TB to 2 x 8TB. Purchase a second hand NAS (RN102, 104 or 212) install new HDD and use this as a back up to the NAS server (not sure how this works and if it's a 2 bay NAS can you use the HDD seperatly or is it best to do the RAID thingy?). What do you think? Am i wasting money? Is there a simpler way to do it?

I also would like to improve connectivity to the NAS server. I've seen in other discussions the experts talking about setting up a static IP address for the NAS, i understand the principles behind this but i wouldn't be confident doing it without some guidance!! Also if you set the NAS up on a static IP address does this improve connection from the laptop to the NAS, also how does this affect connecting to the NAS remotly i.e. if your away from your home network or conencting through the cloud?

Finale note; the connection issues may be due to my laptop, not sure why as it's a bloddy expensive DELL XPS15. I will compare the speed of accessing photos and videos with my work laptop, even more expensive HP jobby, and i will report back.

Model: RN212D22|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (2x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Improving my home network

Sounds good. Yes too close can cause problems. Sometimes you have to play around with placement. I found that 30 feet to start with is a good starting point. I have mine at 40 feet. 

Good Luck. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
If you have a ISP modem with a built in router:

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options for use with a Orbi router system,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

If your on cable and want to replace the ISP cable modem with a gateway modem you could get a ORbi with the built in cable modem:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/We-Squeezed-a-Cable-Modem-under-the-...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Static IPs are recommended on NAS. Set up the main host routers IP address pool for 192.168.1.100 thru .200. Then anything on either side of this pool can be used for static IP addresses that are set ON the NAS device. I do this on my NAS. The .100 thru .200 address pool is for IP address reservations ON the router for other devices. 

Message 2 of 8
Crofty7
Aspirant

Hi FURRYe38,

What does Mfr mean?

This is the modem/router i have https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-smart-hub-088138-C6NX.html

I don't have an Orbi system yet, i'm considering purchasing one. Is there much point in purchasing an Orbi modem (CBK40) as in the UK we don't rent the modem/router. Should i just use the BT Home Hub6 or is the CBK40 much more advanced and work better with the RBK53?

My house is approximatly 2200 sq ft. It's solid blockwork constuction and i struggle for wifi signal upstairs. The sattelite units would be 20 to 30ft away from one another. Would this be an issue?

I don't know how to set up static IP addresses, is there some very simple, and i mean simple!, instructions on how to do this? Finally, and this is dependent on which modem/router i use (BT Home Hub or Orbi), should i refrain from setting up static IP addresses until i have the mesh wifi system installed?

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Mfr = Manufacturer

That particular modem/router you have would need to be bridged or configured as such to use with a RBK## series Orbi system. 

Your on a DSL or Fiber ISP service so the CBK40 system will not work for you. The CBK40 is for a Cable ISP service only. 

30 feet is recommended in between them to start with depending upon building materials. I have mine at 40 feet in between. 

Yes don't worry about static IPs until you finalize what your going to be using and have that installed. 

Message 4 of 8
Crofty7
Aspirant

On my modem/router you can turn off wi-fi, so if i connect the orbi router with BT hub would this suffice?

Also if the Orbi satelites are closer than 30ft will this cause a problem?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

IT would be ok, however with the modem having a built in router, this may cause other problems. I would Advise you to look at the modem combo suggestions mentioned earlier in this thread. Try Options #2 and #3. 

Yes, distance should be starting at around 30 feet. 

Message 6 of 8
Crofty7
Aspirant

OK thanks.

I'll speak with my ISP first and go from there. I'll also check distances as I fear the satellites may be too close.

Thanks for your help
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. Yes too close can cause problems. Sometimes you have to play around with placement. I found that 30 feet to start with is a good starting point. I have mine at 40 feet. 

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7