× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Installed Orbi and data usage quadrupled!

FURRYe38
Guru

What did you have before? 

@josepie wrote:

I should also mention I upgraded my modem to a new model - NETGEAR CM1000. Not sure how big a part this played in lowering my data usage. 

Message 51 of 58
randomousity
Luminary

I've seen other threads about this same issue. Variously, people have determined that things like iPhones determining the bandwidth was now sufficient to support VoIP calling, higher res Facetime/video streaming, infinite loops for checking for updates (both the Orbi itself, and also other devices on the network, malware, etc. It is sometimes the case that, on a busy network, switching to the Orbi has improved the throughput to individual devices such that they begin doing something they didn't used to do previously on the old router. The best way to check the true cause and source/destination of the increased usage would be to put a monitor between the modem and router (or connected to the router and setting one of the LAN ports to mirror all traffic, though that might not include the router's own traffic and only client devices' traffic). Alternatively, leaving the Orbi conneted with no client devices, checking usage, and then testing one device at a time to identify the cuprit.

Basically, several people on these forums have wrongly attributed increased usage to their Orbis when, in fact, it was another device whose behavior changed after switching to the Orbi, which they discovered after additional troubleshooting.

And yes, if the Orbi is on the lastest firmware version, but wrongly thinks it is running a previous version and is repeatedly downloading the current version and sucking up data, resetting it and manually reinstalling the firmware again may resolve that issue so that it correctly identifies which firmware version it's running and stops "updating" itself with the same version over and over.

Message 52 of 58
Ragar99
Luminary

@randomousity wrote:

I've seen other threads about this same issue. Variously, people have determined that things like iPhones determining the bandwidth was now sufficient to support VoIP calling, higher res Facetime/video streaming, infinite loops for checking for updates (both the Orbi itself, and also other devices on the network, malware, etc. It is sometimes the case that, on a busy network, switching to the Orbi has improved the throughput to individual devices such that they begin doing something they didn't used to do previously on the old router. The best way to check the true cause and source/destination of the increased usage would be to put a monitor between the modem and router (or connected to the router and setting one of the LAN ports to mirror all traffic, though that might not include the router's own traffic and only client devices' traffic). Alternatively, leaving the Orbi conneted with no client devices, checking usage, and then testing one device at a time to identify the cuprit.

Basically, several people on these forums have wrongly attributed increased usage to their Orbis when, in fact, it was another device whose behavior changed after switching to the Orbi, which they discovered after additional troubleshooting.

And yes, if the Orbi is on the lastest firmware version, but wrongly thinks it is running a previous version and is repeatedly downloading the current version and sucking up data, resetting it and manually reinstalling the firmware again may resolve that issue so that it correctly identifies which firmware version it's running and stops "updating" itself with the same version over and over.

Hey our resident experts said install newest firmware and reset would fix this issue.  

Message 53 of 58
Chuck_M
Mentor

That modem should be of no impact since it has no routing functions.  As long as you have registered it with your ISP, any wierd stuff going on would be from Orbi or a connected to Orbi device.

I am still concerned about the unverified report that Orbi talks to the Armor server even if you dont have Armor enabled.

Message 54 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Would need a wireshark capture to see whats really happening...

@Chuck_M wrote:

That modem should be of no impact since it has no routing functions.  As long as you have registered it with your ISP, any wierd stuff going on would be from Orbi or a connected to Orbi device.

I am still concerned about the unverified report that Orbi talks to the Armor server even if you dont have Armor enabled.

Message 55 of 58
Maroman
Guide

Just a follow up on my recent testing.
I disabled everything on my network last night around 1:00am via the Orbi app as well as unplugging the one laptop I had directly connected to the router.
When I checked this morning, 6 hours later my ISP data meter showed I spent 6GB during the course of that time. Please tell me how is this possible? I’m convinced something is going on with the router itself now to cause me to exceed my data cap 3 months out of the past 5.
I have the latest FW, rebooted reset to factory etc.
I want to know why there is unknown traffic from the router.
Message 56 of 58
Maroman
Guide

Btw, I know this would seem unlikely. Also, I shouldnt be relying only on my ISP’s traffic meter. But right now NG leaves me no other choice because the traffic meter no longer works due to a daylight savings time isssue in my time zone. This issue is being investigated by their tier 2 support at the moment.
The other problem is the traffic meter does not show usage per device. Something everyone has been hoping they would add.
Message 57 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need TM working to ensure whats going on first. Hopefully NG will get TM fixed. 

Message 58 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7