Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Insufficient bandwidth for streaming

HexHatch
Aspirant

Insufficient bandwidth for streaming

I recently purchased a new home with a visio TV and was originally running on a rented WiFi router from spectrum at the new house and the orbi (RBR50 + RBS50) system at the old.

No streaming bandwidth issues at either house.

Upon setting up the Orbi at the new home, and streaming, I have begun to receive “Insufficient Bandwidth” messages on the Visio tv in Netflix, Amazon, and other streaming apps.

Spectrum 100 /10 service, Arris cable modem.

I swapped out the Orbi to the rented WiFi router supplied by Spectrum, and the issues ceased.

I am convinced I have a setting / something in the Orbi causing the issue. Disappointed, for the price paid and the performance promised to be dealing with an inability to stream.

I would like to find a solution, novice to intermediate skill with network setup at best.

Looking for suggestion.
I’ve seen discussions regarding firmware downgrades to 1.1x, and auto update disabling ... but wondering if anything else (outside of purchasing a different setup) has solved this issue for anyone.

😕
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
ekhalil
Master

Re: Insufficient bandwidth for streaming

This can be caused by a number of factors:

1. Is the Arris cable modem set in bridged mode? If it has wifi cabability, is the wifi switched off? If not and you can't change that please set Orbi in AP mode instead.

2. If your streaming device is attached to the satellite, then it can be caused by a bad backhaul conditions:

- Please check in "Attached Devices" that the satellites are connected by 5G and not 2.4G. Also check that your streaming device is using 5G or wired and not 2.4G

- Please make a wifi scan and check the channels that are being used by your backhaul and if there are neighbors using the same channels.

- The following parameters (marked in red bozes) can help improve your wireless backhaul:

Namnlöst.png

- What type of wired devices do you have connected to Orbi? Do you have any mesh speakers (e.g. Sonos) wired to Orbi?

Message 2 of 7
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

I had a similar problem out of the blue one time. Checked on attached devices and discovered for some unknown reason that my Samsung TV had decided to latch onto the router in the opposite side of the house rather than the nearest satellite which was only eight feet away, and by using WiFi analyzer and some deduction, it was tenaciously hanging onto the 2.4GHz signal from my router rather than the -32db 5GHz signal from the satellite. The satellite was working because it had other devices attached to it, and performing. Power cycled the TV (pulling plug). For extra measure while I was at it, I forgot the my network on tv and then reattached to the home network. The TV found the 5GHz satellite signal and stayed hooked to it since. That may not be your issue but might be worth a try, as long as you know your nearest router or satellite to the TV is working fine with other devices.

Message 3 of 7
HexHatch
Aspirant

Thank you got your reply.
I’m working through the list. Most appreciated.

- My cable modem is wired, router handles all wireless

- parameter changes have been made, thank you.

- in reviewing my streaming devices, I see my tv is on a 2.4Ghz band, but I also do not see a way to force it to a 5Ghz band. I think 2.4 bs 5Ghz is my main issue ... but I do not understand how or if I can set this manually. In my nighthawk, I could select bands. How to do so in an Orbi?

Per the second post, I am also serving the TV with my sattellite, do I need to move the router closer to ensure the router on 5Ghz serves the television?

I’m in the process of downloading a WiFi analyzer and checking channels.

Thank you so far.
Message 4 of 7
HexHatch
Aspirant

Also, the router has a Wink 2 hub attached by wire.
Message 5 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@HexHatch wrote:
- in reviewing my streaming devices, I see my tv is on a 2.4Ghz band, but I also do not see a way to force it to a 5Ghz band. I think 2.4 bs 5Ghz is my main issue ... but I do not understand how or if I can set this manually. In my nighthawk, I could select bands. How to do so in an Orbi?

It's the TV -not Orbi- who decides which band to connect to. If there is no option to select the band in the TV then you can just try to either re-attach the TV to Orbi and hope that it will select 5GHz this time or restart the TV as was suggested by @JoeCymru

If you don't have many other devices dependent on 2.4GHz you can also lower the power on the 2.4GHz band and this way give the TV no option but to select 5GHz. This can be done under >> ADVANCED >> Advanced Setup >> Wireless Settings >>. Worth a try!

Message 6 of 7
randomousity
Luminary

If you have the satellite near the TV, you can also try connecting the TV to the satellite with a cable, which would bypass the 2.4GHz/5GHz issue altogether.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7