Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Internet Access Fine for Hours, but Always Ends Up Partially Dying (Spectrum Internet)

intermittentweb
Aspirant

Internet Access Fine for Hours, but Always Ends Up Partially Dying (Spectrum Internet)

Issue:

I can access a website:  ex: engadget.com just fine after my Orbi is reset.  After a few hours, I stop being able to access the website.  (I can still access that website via my phone's cellular network).  If I reset the Orbi or the cable modem, I am able to access the website again.  After a few hours, I stop being able to access the website again.

One oddity, I have a Nest camera, and the Nest camera will record fine throughout all of this.  It is unaffected.  My original theory is that I am having some DNS issues, but I just don't see how that can be the case given I have now cycled through all the available free DNS services (cloudflare, google, openDNS, quad9, you name it) with no success.

Things I've tried:

• Soft Reset cable modem x 100, Hard reset it to factory x3
  • Soft reset orbi x 100, updated it to latest firmware
  • Called cable company support and received new cable modem
  • Changed DNS to 8.8.8.8, 1.1.1.1, openDNS, auto get DNS from internet provider, etc on Orbi, 
  • Disabled IPV6, changed it to DHCP, changed it to autoconfig
  • Reset network settings on iPhone (Settings -> General -> Reset Network Settings)
  • flushed DNS on PC

Any advice on how to further debug this?  I've downloaded Wireshark but haven't learned how to use it yet.  I want to be able to pinpoint the difference between what's going on underneath the hood for when it is working vs. not working. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Internet Access Fine for Hours, but Always Ends Up Partially Dying (Spectrum Internet)

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Problem appears for both wired and wireless connections? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@intermittentweb wrote:

Issue:

I can access a website:  ex: engadget.com just fine after my Orbi is reset.  After a few hours, I stop being able to access the website.  (I can still access that website via my phone's cellular network).  If I reset the Orbi or the cable modem, I am able to access the website again.  After a few hours, I stop being able to access the website again.

One oddity, I have a Nest camera, and the Nest camera will record fine throughout all of this.  It is unaffected.  My original theory is that I am having some DNS issues, but I just don't see how that can be the case given I have now cycled through all the available free DNS services (cloudflare, google, openDNS, quad9, you name it) with no success.

Things I've tried:

• Soft Reset cable modem x 100, Hard reset it to factory x3
  • Soft reset orbi x 100, updated it to latest firmware
  • Called cable company support and received new cable modem
  • Changed DNS to 8.8.8.8, 1.1.1.1, openDNS, auto get DNS from internet provider, etc on Orbi, 
  • Disabled IPV6, changed it to DHCP, changed it to autoconfig
  • Reset network settings on iPhone (Settings -> General -> Reset Network Settings)
  • flushed DNS on PC

Any advice on how to further debug this?  I've downloaded Wireshark but haven't learned how to use it yet.  I want to be able to pinpoint the difference between what's going on underneath the hood for when it is working vs. not working. 

Message 2 of 6
intermittentweb
Aspirant

Orbi Firmware is V2.3.5.30

Cable Modem model is Spectrum E31U2V1

Problem appears for both wireless and wired connections, yes.  I have tried moving the satellite closer, as well as have disconnected the satellite with no change.  

Appreciate the help.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

I would try this, turn OFF the RBS for a while. Just run the RBR. 

See if the problem still appears.

Possbible issue with the modem. Has the ISP checked the signal quality up to the modem? 

Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters between the ISP modem and ISP service box. 

Swap LAN cables between the ISP modem and RBR. CAT6 recommended. 

Message 4 of 6
intermittentweb
Aspirant

There are multiple other wifi networks nearby as we live in an apartment.

The signal strength and signal levels of the modem are really good according to Spectrum.  There is no splitter as the signal goes directly.

I will test the unplugging of the RBS and replacing the cables.  I think it is unlikely cabling is the issue given that the internet works again after an Orbi reset.  Unless faulty cabling is leading something to get into a faulty/stuck state.

Do you know of a network diagnostic tool suite that will enable further debugging?  

Thanks again

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, if you have lots of near by wifi neighbors, this could be another cause. Wifi congestion in your surroundings could be causing the router to stop and try to reboot and not find a clear channel to use for WiFi. 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Also try lowering the power output of the RBR from 100% to say 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7