Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet connected - ethernet works - wifi does not.

Anthed
Aspirant

Internet connected - ethernet works - wifi does not.

Have been going through the motions of trouble shooting for over a day now. 

Got the ORBI RBR50 set up along with 2 satellites. The set up was simple as predicted, both satellites gave me the blue light, and even though while in the set up process, the site said "no satellites could be found" I skipped that part and they showed up on the routerlogin.com page anyway. As you can see in the screen shot.

This system is set up in a two story home, 3200 sq/ft.

SSID and WEP pass were created and I got the "successfully connected to the internet" notification at the end of the process.

WiFi seemed to be working right off the bat, and ethernet of course worked too.

For some reason only known to God, WiFi no longer works. It shows that it is connected to our phones, but there is no internet connection. However, ethernet (hardlined) devices DO work and consistently.

That being said, when I go to "routerlogin.com" on my PC that is hardlined in, it takes me to the ORBI control site.

But when I login to "routerlogin.com" using a mobile device (including my laptop that I tried connecting to a satellite via ethernet) it takes me to the NETGEAR GENIE control page. And on the NETGEAR GENIE page, it says that there is NO internet connection and that router must not be plugged into the modem...

I'll leave it at that for now, for fear of being too lengthy and not getting and feedback.

Thanks for any and all advice!!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Internet connected - ethernet works - wifi does not.

Net Genie is no longer supported in relation to the Orbi product.  (There's a long thread on the forum about that.)  The Genie page describes a product that is NOT the Orbi.

I have never been a fan or using names that have to be translated, such as routerlogin.com or orbilogin.com.  I am much happier knowing up front exactly which device I am connecting to.  With the device that is wired to the Orbi, a web browser should probably  find the administrative web page at 192.168.1.1.  Whatever it says it correct.

Perhaps the Orbi smartphone app will work if it is also pointed at the IP address of the router.

Message 2 of 8
Anthed
Aspirant

Well thats the other kicker, the ORBI app claims "the router is not supported by the ORBI app." Mind you, this is an orbi router and I downloaded the app from the scan code on the packaging lol.

But I've been able to set it up using my computer, so aside from that, why is the WiFi not being connected to the internet? And what other NETGEAR hardware is that NETGEAR GENIE recognizing? There is only one router (ORBI RBR50 and two ORBI satellites).

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, there appears to be a lot of confusion.  When the Orbi was released, the Netgear Genie app did in fact support the product.  However, this Spring Netgear decided that only the "new" Netgear Orbi app would work with Orbi.  The discussion is the second item in the forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/NETGEAR-Genie-App-No-Longer-Supported-on-Orbi-Effective-Jan-31...

We recently heard from someone who purchased an Orbi from Costco that had two year old firmware in it.  The scan code in your package may indeed have been for Netgear Genie, but that's not the app to use these days.

The screen shot shows a "WNDR3400v3", which is definitely not an Orbi.  I have no idea where it is, but it is NOT the Orbi.

On the web interface of a computer wired to the router, what devices does it show as "Attached"?

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

What modem are you using? 

Message 5 of 8
Anthed
Aspirant

Spectrum modem.

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

model number is better. Tells of its a basic modem/combo device or what issues it has. 

Message 7 of 8

@plemans wrote:

model number is better. Tells of its a basic modem/combo device or what issues it has. 

You can say that again:

Spectrum modem. - Google Search

Take your pick.

By the way, the WNDR3400v3 in the screen grab (alt+printscreen beats taking photos of the monitor) is a seriously old router, so old that according to Netgear's manual for this device the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet. It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices, including all Orbis,  support 1000BASE-TX.

If the  modem is the same generation as this ancient router, anything could be going on.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7