Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it time for an upgrade?

nedna
Follower

Is it time for an upgrade?

I’ve got an RBR50 with 2 satellites that I’ve had for close to 7 years now. We have AT&T fiber with the 500mbps speed package but when I run a speed test through the orbi app I’m consistently getting 600-650 download and upload, but when I test on my phone or computer I’m getting consistent results around 250-350, sometimes 400-500 if I’m right on top of the main router. Would I see some benefit out of a newer orbi setup or is that just the nature of WiFi?

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Is it time for an upgrade?

Yes, WiFi5 ((802.11ac) from seven years ago "tops out" at about 400Mbps right next to the router.  The newer systems support WiFi6 (802.11ax), and the newest (and most costly) support WiFi6E and WiFi7.  If the user device also supports those standards, then the performance over WiFi can be greater.  Look up the specs on your phones, tablets, laptops, etc. to see if they can take advantage of newer WiFi.

The issue is whether the user will notice any difference.  An HD video requires about 25Mbps to stream. As long as the connection provides that speed, having extra capacity will not make any difference. Maybe you could have 20 TVs streaming video rather than 10.   A web page may load in 2 seconds instead of 3 seconds.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7