Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LAN Ports dropping on RBR40

jhiggins1123
Guide

LAN Ports dropping on RBR40

First.  I have an RBR40, not a 20.  The 40 is not in the list to select from.  

For the past few days, every hour on the hour, the LAN ports drop on the router.  The satellites seem to be fine.  I have a desktop PC a Polycom VVX411 and a Yealink SIP-T48G phone hardwired to it.  These 3 are the only things losing connectivity.  Wi-Fi devices are fine too

Its an RBR40.  Firware version 2.5.1.22.  In the screenshot, you can see everything has been up for over an hour, yet the LAN ports only up for 18 minutes.

Any ideas?

Orbi stats.jpg

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: LAN Ports dropping on RBR40

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Swap out LAN cables to test. 

Try connecting only 1 of the wired devices to the RBR. 

Try connecting one of the wired devices to an RBS if you have the wired supporting RBS.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 31
CrimpOn
Guru

@jhiggins1123 wrote:

For the past few days, every hour on the hour, the LAN ports drop on the router.  The satellites seem to be fine.  I have a desktop PC a Polycom VVX411 and a Yealink SIP-T48G phone hardwired to it.  These 3 are the only things losing connectivity.  Wi-Fi devices are fine too

Its an RBR40.  Firware version 2.5.1.22.  In the screenshot, you can see everything has been up for over an hour, yet the LAN ports only up for 18 minutes.

Images placed "in-line" in posts (using the Photos icon) do not appear in posts until approved by a forum moderator.  Considering how many  forums they watch, this can take days.  Images "attached" using the Browse button in the lower left are available immediately.

Does the Orbi log show these three devices being assigned IP addresses every hour?

(Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Administration, Logs.)

At the very least, I would power off the router, sing Happy Birthday, then power it back on again.

Message 3 of 31
jhiggins1123
Guide

The current firmware on the main router is V2.6.1.36, and the satellites are on 2.6.1.38.  A factory reset has been done after the firmware was updated.  

The router is connected to an Arris SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 modem

I have replaced the cable between the router and 1 of the devices and the issue is still happening

Devices hardwired to the RBS's are not affected.  I currently have a smart TV connected to one of them and it does not have any issues.  It appears to be only affecting the RBR40.  

Message 4 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try manually downgrading FW to v16 on both RBR and RBS. Factory reset after applying to the RBS then RBR lastly and setup from scratch.

Your ISP Modem has a known problem:

http://www.badmodems.com/Issue3.htm

I would recommend gettng into a broadcom based modem...

@jhiggins1123 wrote:

The current firmware on the main router is V2.6.1.36, and the satellites are on 2.6.1.38.  A factory reset has been done after the firmware was updated.  

The router is connected to an Arris SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 modem

I have replaced the cable between the router and 1 of the devices and the issue is still happening

Devices hardwired to the RBS's are not affected.  I currently have a smart TV connected to one of them and it does not have any issues.  It appears to be only affecting the RBR40.  

Message 5 of 31
jhiggins1123
Guide

I ordered a new modem.  Waiting for it to be delivered.  New modem is a Motorola MB8611 which has a Broadcom chipset.

It will be here Saturday.  I'll post an update after its installed

Message 6 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. Let us know. 

Message 7 of 31
vajim
Master

@jhiggins1123 wrote:

I ordered a new modem.  Waiting for it to be delivered.  New modem is a Motorola MB8611 which has a Broadcom chipset.

It will be here Saturday.  I'll post an update after its installed

Nice

keep us posted 

Message 8 of 31
jhiggins1123
Guide

Ive installed the new modem.  Its up and running no connectivity issues at all.  But the router is going down every hour.  

Message 9 of 31
vajim
Master

@jhiggins1123 wrote:

Ive installed the new modem.  Its up and running no connectivity issues at all.  But the router is going down every hour.  

what about your router/sats firmware.....all must be the same

Message 10 of 31
jhiggins1123
Guide

Ive attached a picture of the stats from the router. 

I havent done anything with the firmware yet.  Currently the RBR40 is on 2.6.1.36 and the 2 RBS20's are on 2.6.1.38.  

Should I downgrade the firmware to a previous version?  If so to what one?

Message 11 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

I would downgrade to v16 on the RBS and RBR. Factory reset and setup from scratch.

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Message 12 of 31
jhiggins1123
Guide

Ok.  Both the RBR40 and RBS20 are now on firmware 2.5.1.16.  Everything has been factory reset and setup from scratch.  After setting everything back up, I did a reboot on everything.  

Now just waiting to see what happens.  

Message 13 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Keep us posted. 

Message 14 of 31
vajim
Master

Ok keep us updated 

Message 15 of 31
jhiggins1123
Guide

Just checked.  No change.  Still dropping every hour.  Not sure what else I can do.  Everything has been changed.  The modem, the ethernet cables, downgraded the firmware, factory reset it multiple times.

I think Im done with Netgear

Message 16 of 31
jhiggins1123
Guide

Im pretty positive this is an issue with the Orbi.  I hooked up an old Linksys EA6350 router and havent had a single connection issue. 

Message 17 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like a faulty Orbi system then. Something to contact NG support about to see what your options are. 

Good Luck. 

Message 18 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you use your lInksys router as the router and configure the RBR for AP mode? Same problem happens? 

Message 19 of 31
jhiggins1123
Guide

I just did that.  I set the RBR40 to AP mode and connected it to the Linksys router.  The only thing connected to the RBR is my work PC.  Now I just have to wait and see if I lose connection.  Usually takes an hour.

Message 20 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep us posted...

Message 21 of 31
vajim
Master

@jhiggins1123 wrote:

I just did that.  I set the RBR40 to AP mode and connected it to the Linksys router.  The only thing connected to the RBR is my work PC.  Now I just have to wait and see if I lose connection.  Usually takes an hour.

you should be good to go...Keep us posted...

Message 22 of 31
jhiggins1123
Guide

The RBR40 has been behind the Linksys for nearly 2 hours and I havent had any issues with it dropping.  

So, could there be some kind of security issue going on?  Something the RBR wasnt stopping correctly.  The logs on the router were filling up daily with DoS attacks and such.  

I dont really consider this good to go.  The RBR40 is supposed to be a secure router, but it doesnt seem to be able to handle outside traffic very well

Message 23 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support about this for addtional help and information. Seems that the RBR in router mode is having problems. AP mode works. They should review your system. I would reference this forum thread as well. 

@jhiggins1123 wrote:

The RBR40 has been behind the Linksys for nearly 2 hours and I havent had any issues with it dropping.  

So, could there be some kind of security issue going on?  Something the RBR wasnt stopping correctly.  The logs on the router were filling up daily with DoS attacks and such.  

I dont really consider this good to go.  The RBR40 is supposed to be a secure router, but it doesnt seem to be able to handle outside traffic very well

Message 24 of 31
vajim
Master

@jhiggins1123 wrote:

Is it under warranty?

Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7