Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LBR20 keeps disconnecting from LTE

Re: LBR20 keeps disconnecting from LTE

Interesting. NETGEAR's List of Carriers Supported page indicates that Verizon is a supported carrier with the LBR20....

NETGEAR folks, can you clarify?

Message 26 of 87

Received the RMA replacement unit yesterday. And... It too drops the LTE connection for long periods on Verizon. As much as I really like the great signal and added speed of the LBR20 when it does work, the long dropouts are a non-starter in this WFH Covid era. I have to conclude that the LBR20 is just not yet ready for prime time - at least not on Verizon's network. Back to the UML295 + router for now.

Message 27 of 87
blitzberlin
Aspirant

Exact same issue here on Verizon... works great when it works. LTE Band 13 -60db. Typically I see something like below in logs about 5-6 times daily. Then just gives up. Reconnects in about 30 minutes.

Most likely returning to Amazon as this makes it unusable. Maybe Starlink in the not too distant future...

[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, November 24, 2020 03:01:08
[Internet connected] IP address: 100.104.59.71, Tuesday, November 24, 2020 03:01:05
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, November 24, 2020 03:00:53
[Internet connected] IP address: 100.112.105.20, Tuesday, November 24, 2020 03:00:47
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, November 24, 2020 03:00:38
[Internet connected] IP address: 100.97.131.71, Tuesday, November 24, 2020 03:00:36
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, November 24, 2020 03:00:27
[Internet connected] IP address: 100.80.96.4, Tuesday, November 24, 2020 03:00:19
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, November 24, 2020 03:00:10
[Internet connected] IP address: 100.79.43.222, Tuesday, November 24, 2020 03:00:07
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:59:58
[Internet connected] IP address: 100.69.159.41, Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:59:55
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:59:46
[Internet connected] IP address: 100.78.98.238, Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:59:36
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:59:27
[Internet connected] IP address: 100.111.152.13, Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:59:25
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:59:16
[Internet connected] IP address: 100.103.28.226, Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:59:10
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:59:01
[Internet connected] IP address: 100.85.202.75, Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:58:58
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:58:49
[Internet connected] IP address: 100.74.164.121, Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:58:47
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:58:38
[Internet connected] IP address: 100.85.109.56, Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:58:37
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:58:28
[Internet connected] IP address: 100.73.130.1, Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:58:27
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:58:17
[Internet connected] IP address: 100.76.34.73, Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:58:10
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:58:00
[Internet connected] IP address: 100.107.158.55, Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:57:56
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:57:47
[Internet connected] IP address: 100.102.211.13, Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:57:41
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:57:31
[Internet connected] IP address: 100.76.46.246, Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:57:25
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:57:16
[Internet connected] IP address: 100.85.77.61, Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:57:12
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:57:03
[Internet connected] IP address: 100.77.146.14, Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:57:00
[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:56:50
[Internet connected] IP address: 100.117.101.61, Tuesday, November 24, 2020 02:56:45

Message 28 of 87

Yep @blitzberlin. Pretty much what I was seeing in the logs as well. The thing I don't understand is how is it getting assigned new DHCP addresses every 15 or so SECONDS during that supposed downtime period? Seems to me that it has to be getting a data call connected each time - at least enough to get assigned a DHCP address. Could Verizon be dropping the call immediately after it connects and then allowing a reconnect - and then repeating that process several times?? Seems unlikely... Something odd about that behavior IMO.

After a bit of research, I found that they're using Quectel's EG18 module (which, BTW, is NOT among the Quectel modules that Verizon lists on its site as supported...). The connection manager (quectel-cm) is capable of providing more detailed logs, but I wasn't able to find a way to start it up that way on boot... If I can find some spare time I may see whether it's possible via the debug interface to kill/restart the CM with additional logging and see if that provides any additional insight into what's happening. Being an OpenWRT-based device does have its advantages. Thanks to NETGEAR for that! It's normally one of the reasons I buy NETGEAR routers.

But unless I can figure out a workaround soon (or NETGEAR speaks up about availability of a fix), the replacement unit may end up going back as well. I predict a bunch of LBR20 refurbs on the market if this isn't addressed soon. Negative feedback at Amazon starting to stack up.

Message 29 of 87
blitzberlin
Aspirant

Surprising for a new product with such great potential that firmware has not been updated since July?

Message 30 of 87
Whackodingo
Aspirant

Having the same problem of LTE dropping but using AT&T sim. Rebooting brings back temporarily.  Called Netgear support and they had me refresh the firmware V2.5.2.20 manually using file downloaded from Netgear website.  Will see how long it lasts.

Message 31 of 87
darwin1991
Guide

I have the same problem as you do. I'm using AT&T sim, LBR20 keeps losing signal, sometimes it took around 5 minutes then the internet comesback and sometimes it requires rebooting.

Message 32 of 87

any luck on the manual refresh of the firmware?
Message 33 of 87

2.5.2.20 is the original firmware. Unless you flashed new, reflashing the original over the original is unlikely to do anything particularly useful. I did a (support-recommended) full factory reset on mine (which also reflashes the firmware) and it did not help.

My guess is either a bug in that original firmware or an incomplete understanding between NETGEAR and carriers on the status of this device's approval for use on said carriers' networks.

Message 34 of 87
ssmitty67
Aspirant

I started this thread back in August and I wanted to rant a little bit about my experience.

I got a replacment unit last week after arguing with Netgear support for hours on the phone (and with hardly any meaningful response via email).  It was excruciatingly painful as I was transfered from team to team having to explain the situation over and over.  I was trying to just return the unit , but they did not want to let that happen as I was past my 30 day window (despite the fact I logged a ticket a few days after I recieved the device).  So I settled for a RMA, I was extremely skeptical that it would be any different and my skeptisim turned out to be true as the new unit has the same disconnect issues.  

My best guess of what is happening is that Verizon is blacklisting the IMEI as it is not a supported device (certified) on VZ's network and thus causing the disconnects - how this is being accomplished is unclear to me (others have suggested some ideas on this thread)

So I was going to the support page to indicate that the RMA did  not work and I discovered that since I am past my 90 day support window, I dont have the ability to open a case (as they closed all my other cases - even thought I repeatedly asked them not to)

I guess my only recourse is to call in again, but I know that will be an experience from hell (based on my previous call) and I doubt that even though they told me I could return the unit if the RMA didnt work, Im sure they will not honor (Im sure the agent told me that to get me off the phone).

Does anyone here have any advice to get Netgear to take this unit back?  I feel like I put a lot of good faith into trying to get this to work with Netgear(and I really wish it did).

I feel that Netgear misrepresented this router.  Initially (when I purchased) it was advertised as compatible with Verizon.  But now it is advertised as Tmob & ATT compatible only.

Am I stuck with this device?  Is it a $400 paper weight?

Message 35 of 87

Advertised as working with ATT yet it constantly loses connection as well. This thing is expensive junk at this point.
Message 36 of 87
cnwdon
Tutor

I have one LBR20 purchased direct from Netgear last summer that has been working with our Verizon 4G LTE cell service for about 4 months now, for a 9 hour workday, no problems with "dropping out" like others have posted above.  But, I just bought a second LBR20 which now does NOT work with Verizon cell service (we do not have the FiOS fiber available where we live, or any other cable or fiber option).

Does someone have more information about this issue from Netgear or your experience?  If the problem is Verizon changing its compatibilty permissions, I don't know why the first LBR20 continues to work fine with our Verizon 4G LTE service.

Hours on hold with both Netgear and Verizon have not helped me find any authoritative information.  A Netgear tech support person told me this morning that it should work with Verizon, but when I asked her to double check that she put me on hold again and the call was dropped before any more answers were obtained.  I see current sales information saying the model is not compatible with Verizon.

We need a similar router that has coax input(s) for an external antenna. Our Verizon signal is not strong enough for acceptable connection speed without the connection to an external directional antenna that the LBR20 offers.

Helpful information, anyone? Alternative routers for Verizon with antenna input? Thanks

Message 37 of 87
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Community users, 

If you're experiencing issues regarding the LBR20, may you provide me with the following info. I'd like for our support team to reach out for further investigation. 

Name:

Email:

Phone: 

Serial Number:

Thank you,

Christian 

Message 38 of 87

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the offer of help. PM sent.

Message 39 of 87
cnwdon
Tutor

Re: LBR20 and Verizon

Christian: Please respond to the question above.  Note this Netgear web page shows Verizon as a supported carrier for LBR20:

https://kb.netgear.com/29947/List-of-Carriers-Supported-by-Netgear-Mobile-Devices

Is this information out of date and Verizon is not available with the LBR20?

Or can you please get reliable information about why some of us cannot use Verizon LTE cell service with our new LBR20 routers? Is there information from your corporate sources about the relationship with Verizon, and is that broken?  Please get us some accurate information.

Message 40 of 87
ng-user1
Aspirant

No 4g connection on LBR20 for Tmobile. Only connects to HSPA+ band 96. 8Mb max throughput. Very disappointing. I have spent hours with tmob tsch service to no avail. my phone and a tmob provide Franklin hotspot work without issues on 4g network at 50+ Mb. LBR20 will only connect when3G or Automatic is selected in the network mode. It wont connect at all when 4G is selected in the network mode. Thankfully its returnable until after christmas. I will keep trying and update this if anything changes.

Message 41 of 87

Any updates on a fix for att?
Message 42 of 87
LloydG
Aspirant

I'm having some issues here in the UK. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
I'm using it on Vodafone.
I'm unable to stream Amazon prime on all devices (sky, tv , chromecast) EXCEPT Roku.
I'm also unable to load webpages via PC and mobile due to time outs and no connection to the server.
Message 43 of 87

Has this device essentially become unsupported? Where is the much needed firmware update?
Message 44 of 87
WaltO
Tutor

I noticed you can’t choose LBR20 in this thread as model number. Any way I second what last poster said. Where are the updates. As the first review of this product I feel I have even more ass on the line so to speak. Frequent if not hourly or 1:2 hour disconnects. Please HELP! I responded to the last request for info email contact etc....

My email is fancleveland@gmail.com. I was the very first review on this product and I’m begging for help for myself and the others who followed my reccomendation. Not a tech a support chat room lurker where you can’t tell employee from lurker. But a real escalated fix this **bleep**... admit their is an issue. We are not all crazy....thank you and goodnight!
Message 45 of 87

Officially unsupported now with Verizon - confirmed by NETGEAR customer support and product page. So I'm on my own...

Don't know about ATT...

With that said, I still use mine as it's actually been running pretty good for me on Verizon lately. Every so often, between 0 - 2 times / day, it'll get into its infinite loop of connecting, getting IP address from DHCP and then dropping the connection - purple ring on top. Rebooting the router whenever this happens has worked each time (so far...). When I'm able to find time, I'm using some of the findings in this other thread (Orbi LBR20 How-To / Megathread - LTE HACKS) to try to work up some additional diagnostics and a recovery script so I won't need to reboot each time. Again, PURELY SPECULATING, but I feel there could be some bug in the particular version of quectel-CM that got bundled with this router's initial firmware. Once I can 'catch it in the act' with more/better logging, I hope to be able to prove or refute that theory so that I can continue a conversation with the Quectel team (who makes the quectel-CM and the EG18 modem that the LBR20 uses) in hopes of eventually getting to the bottom of the issue and perhaps a fix - or at least a durable workaround until NETGEAR gets it in gear with official support again...

Message 46 of 87
WaltO
Tutor

Not to be a negative nelly but if one person tells me to rest to factory settings. Or turn on or off some obscure setting. Or says I should telnet command lime my **bleep** to make it “vpn” right or avoid the dreaded Ar&t “proxy” “redirect” honestly I’m a tech guy and this shot makes my mind hurt. I have trouble shot this to the end of the earth. I’m a 50 year old widow with nothing else to do. Closet I have come is it’s the Orbi app on my phone knocking it out....

There is nothing else to try... no other location.. no other device, no other setting, it resets on mobile internet ip connection. Way way way to **bleep**ing often

My nighawk WAS a slower dream in stability LMAO
Message 47 of 87
WaltO
Tutor

Honestly I will be completely shocked and drop over dead if I am contacted directly regarding this. Other than a bot or an intern... as my 90 days support has passed, and I failed to respond to my weekly reminder of my impending doom of not paying more....
Message 48 of 87

Finally got a repro with full log dump. Sent that over to the Quectel forums to see what they can make of it. My question is located here if anyone is interested - quectel-CM SIGTERM loop - IoT Modules / LTE-A Module - Quectel Forums

I've tried about 3 times to post instructions on how to get detailed logs into this forum, but each time seems to quietly fail. The post says it posted, but then I never see it. Hopefully this one will go through at least. Maybe I'll try breaking my other post into smaller chunks? It would be interesting to see what logs others are getting to see who is having similar issues and who may be having completely different problems?

Again, at this point I'm "accepting" of the LBR20's stabilitly on my Verizon connection. Rebooting 0 - 2 times daily isn't *that* onerous... But for the folks who are having near constant disconnects... That's not excusable for a $400 router. Something has to be going on - and it needs to be fixed. Or at least more thoroughly understood. IMO.

Message 49 of 87
RuralRob
Aspirant

Anyone have any luck resolving this issue? I get disconnected at least once a day from Verizon

Power cycle seems to resolve it.   (Although I think once it didn't...but can't be sure).  And if left alone (overnight) it looks like it does eventually come back online but then will repeatedly disconnect if not power cycled.

I had a number of other issues getting ethernet backhaul working that I thought might be a contributing factor but I have that working now (and just ran it without the satellite for a while) and still had issues probably once or twice a day.  I have taken the SIM out when it disconnects and put it in my Verizon modem and it does connect fine with that.  That along with the fact that a power cycle of the modem seems to work seems like a modem issue not a tower/IMEI/SIM issue.  But I see the discussion @Quectel Forums went quiet. 

Message 50 of 87
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7