Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Limited Connectivity on 5GHZ

nagendraprasath
Aspirant

Limited Connectivity on 5GHZ

My townhome is about 1600 sq.ft and below is my setup. Please note, the same setup has been working for the past one year. 

Router in the living room

One satellite in bedroom

One satellite in the Garage

One satellite in the kids room (next to guest room)

Am using Android phone Oneplus 6T Mclaren. 

Recently my wifi connection in the phone reports Limited connectivity in the first floor and its pretty much dont have internet connection. However WIFI signal is good. By default, my phone connects to 5GHZ. Not sure why it isnt switching to 2.4ghz, lets ignore that for a moment. Other phones which connects to 2.4ghz gets internet connection though.

Whenever phone connects (via 5GHZ) to satellites or is a bit away from main router, i loose internet connection. WIFI connection stays excellent.

Firmware:

Router RBR50 V2.5.1.16
Satellite RBW30 V2.5.0.2
Satellite RBW30 V2.5.0.2
Satellite RBS50 V2.5.1.16

Forgot to mention, Satellite RBS50 was recently added to the system. But i switched off and tried it, still the issue persists.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

How far apart are your satellites? 30ft minimum is recommended. 

You have quite a few satellites for a 1600sqft space. I found my home took significant speed hits when I had to many satellites. 

I'm in a 3200sq ft home plus 1200 sqft garage and I use a router and 2 satellites. when I had more than that, i had speed issues and roaming issues. 

have you tried removing a satellite or 2? 

Message 2 of 10
nagendraprasath
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it didnt help. I switched off all satellites except one, removed them from the router but still getting limited connection 😞

I had to use atleast one satellite at my garage where the main router's signal is weak. Moreover router + 2 satellites have been working good. Not sure what went wrong recently.

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

What modem are you using? 

Does it work with just the router? 

If not, have you tried factory resetting and reinstalling the system?

Message 4 of 10
nagendraprasath
Aspirant

I use SB6183 (Motorola Arris) with this router since 2018 and satellites were added during feb 2019. Again, the setup has been working without any issues. 

I've not tried reset yet. Just wanted to avoid the pain and not sure it'll fix. Anyways will try and update.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you turn OFF ALL RBS and just leave the RBR running alone? 

@nagendraprasath wrote:

I use SB6183 (Motorola Arris) with this router since 2018 and satellites were added during feb 2019. Again, the setup has been working without any issues. 

I've not tried reset yet. Just wanted to avoid the pain and not sure it'll fix. Anyways will try and update.

Message 6 of 10
nagendraprasath
Aspirant

Good Question!

Yes, when all satellites are switched off, my phone connects to router with 2.4ghz from guest room and has internet connectivity.

I also tried with only RBS50 satellite, phone connects to 5GHz and has internet connection.

Problem seems to be with the Satellite RBW30
But given the fact that they were working earlier makes me think some recent firmware upgrade isnt compatible with router RBR50(V2.5.1.16) and satellite RBW30(V2.5.0.2). Looks like both firmware got upgraded during 04/20 and 04/22.

Do you suggest i revert the firmware and try? not sure downgrade will lead to any instability.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I would keep whats loaded and not use the RBWs. I would make contact with NG support and let them know what your seeing with the RBWs. Seems like there maybe a FW issue on the RBWs and needs to be updated. Let NG know what your seeing. Refer to this thread as well. 

Message 8 of 10
nagendraprasath
Aspirant

Sure. But i see NG support is available only within 90 days. Is there a different channel for these reports?

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try a forum moderator:

@Blanca_O 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation