Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lost all LAN connections RBK50 - both router and satellites

Singularity2030
Aspirant

Lost all LAN connections RBK50 - both router and satellites

Last night, with zero configuration changes, all LAN ports stopped functioning on both the router and satellites.  I had a switch plugged in to the router so I tried bypassing it with some direct connections.  None of them show a connection.  I've rebooted a few times and even updated the firmware manually with the latest .32 version.  Nothing works.  I thought it was hardware failure at first but a LAN connection to the satellite stopped working too.  I doubt the LAN ports on both would fail.  I'm at a loss as to what it could be.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Lost all LAN connections RBK50 - both router and satellites

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

After upgrading to v32, did you factory reset the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch?

Power OFF all devcies, router and satellite. 

Have one wired PC connected to the back of the RBR. Power it ON. Do you get anything on the network adapter after the RBR comes to ready? Try the different LAN ports in back while its ON. 

Besure to use a good quality known working LAN cable between RBR and PC. 

@Singularity2030 wrote:

Last night, with zero configuration changes, all LAN ports stopped functioning on both the router and satellites.  I had a switch plugged in to the router so I tried bypassing it with some direct connections.  None of them show a connection.  I've rebooted a few times and even updated the firmware manually with the latest .32 version.  Nothing works.  I thought it was hardware failure at first but a LAN connection to the satellite stopped working too.  I doubt the LAN ports on both would fail.  I'm at a loss as to what it could be.

Message 2 of 12
Singularity2030
Aspirant

The modem is an AT&T UVerse Pace 5268AC.  I have temporarily bypassed the switch.  I tried several devices on different ports between the router and satellite, including a PC.  None show a connection.  I did already try disabling the satellites and rebooting.  That did not make a difference.

Message 3 of 12
Chuck_M
Mentor

Does the router still maintain internet connectivity via wireless?

I did not see if you tried to factory reset the RBR50 yet... if not, that would be my next step.

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI about your ISP modem:

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem leaving it in router mode and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Let us know how it goes after a factory reset.

@Singularity2030 wrote:

The modem is an AT&T UVerse Pace 5268AC.  I have temporarily bypassed the switch.  I tried several devices on different ports between the router and satellite, including a PC.  None show a connection.  I did already try disabling the satellites and rebooting.  That did not make a difference.

Message 5 of 12
Singularity2030
Aspirant

@Chuck_M wrote:

Does the router still maintain internet connectivity via wireless?

I did not see if you tried to factory reset the RBR50 yet... if not, that would be my next step.

I do get internet connectivity via wireless.  And I have done the factory reset.  No change.  After trying a direct connection to the router, I tried re-activating one of the satellites and I can't connect to those LAN ports either still.

Message 6 of 12
Singularity2030
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

FYI about your ISP modem:

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem leaving it in router mode and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Let us know how it goes after a factory reset.

@Singularity2030 wrote:

I've had IP Pass through configured since I got the router 6 months ago with no issues.  And internet still works fine over Wireless even now.

Message 7 of 12
Chuck_M
Mentor

And there is nothing between the RBR50 and the RBS50 on the ethernet cable?  (e.g. no switches in between, right?)

Message 8 of 12
Singularity2030
Aspirant

@Chuck_M wrote:

And there is nothing between the RBR50 and the RBS50 on the ethernet cable?  (e.g. no switches in between, right?)

I use a switch for most devices normally but I always direct connect the router and first satellite.  I've tested 3 devices connected directly to the router and 2 devices connected to the satellite.  The ones that have wifi I tested both connection methods and the wifi connection works and ethernet fails.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration?

This switch has been removed from the Orbi connection? 

Possible you may need to replace the Orbi system. 

@Singularity2030 wrote:

@Chuck_M wrote:

I use a switch for most devices normally but I always direct connect the router and first satellite.  I've tested 3 devices connected directly to the router and 2 devices connected to the satellite.  The ones that have wifi I tested both connection methods and the wifi connection works and ethernet fails.

Message 10 of 12
ekhalil
Master

The symptoms you describe indicate that Orbi discovered loops caused by one or more wired device and decided to disconnect the LAN ports.
- Is Daisy Chain enabled or disabled?
- What other wired devices do you have attached to Orbi?
- Also what device types do you have attached to Orbi wired as well as wireless?
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Singularity2030 wrote:

@Chuck_M wrote:

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7