Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mesh vs. Access Point

jag288
Aspirant

Mesh vs. Access Point

Just setting a new system with a router in my basement and satellites on the ground and second floors. There is hardwired ethernet from the ground floor and second floor to the basement running into an ethernet switch and then into my router. 

Am I better off setting up the orbi in mesh mode or in access point mode?

Thanks,

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Mesh vs. Access Point

AP is recommended if you already have a host router in front of the Orbi system. 

You can use the host routers DMZ for the Orbi if you want to try the Orbi in router mode. 

What is the mfr and model # of the switch being used? 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

There may be a confusion.  Orbi can be set up as a router or access point.  And, Orbi can be set up to support or not support Daisy Chain.  They are not mutually exclusive.

Message 3 of 6
jag288
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies. Not sure if I’m completely following. What I’m trying to get at is there a performance benefit to having my modem (without router), Orbi router, and Orbi satellites wired together with Ethernet cables? If so, does this have to be done in access point mode? If no, it seems easier to have them connected wirelessly
Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can connect RBS via ethernet:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Ethernet connected RBS are supported in router mode or AP mode. 

AP mode is mostly for ISP modems or users with other router infront of the ORbi system that either need or choose to configure AP mode on the Orbi system. 

There are both performance and router problems with having two routers on the same line. Prefered is having only 1 router on the line. 

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Wired with ether net cables offers higher performance than wireless, although to be fair, most users will not notice a significant difference.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7