Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Migrate from Orbi RBR20 to RBR50

bosdub
Tutor

Migrate from Orbi RBR20 to RBR50

Hello...

I just got an RBR50 as an upgrade from my RBR20. I'm wondering if there is an easy way to get all of my configurations and static IP's copied over to the RBR50? 

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@bosdub wrote:

Hello...

I just got an RBR50 as an upgrade from my RBR20. I'm wondering if there is an easy way to get all of my configurations and static IP's copied over to the RBR50? 

Alas, there is not.  I would take screen shots of the relevant setup pages, print them out, and get mentally prepared to do a lot of very careful data entry.

Just personally, I would leave setting the WiFi SSID/password to the last step.  Otherwise, devices will begin connecting to the new Orbi and grabbing IP addresses before you have had a chance to set up the address reservation table.

Message 2 of 7
bosdub
Tutor

Thanks for the reply... luckily I'm in no hurry. 🙂

I saw another post mentioning mixing RBS20's and RBS50's which I think you also replied to. Is there any downside to doing that? I will have the RBR50, one RBS50 and two RBS20's. Currently my two RBS20's are not daisychained.

Message 3 of 7
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello bosdub,

I understand that you would like to integrate both RBS20 and RBS50 into your network. 

The downside with that setup is that the connection between the RBR50 and the RBS20 will be limited to the network speeds that the RBS20 can handle. 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 4 of 7
bosdub
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.

How about the connection between the RBR50 and the RBS50? Will that be at the speed capability of the RBR50?

Message 5 of 7
bosdub
Tutor

Lo and behold... my Orbi router is actually an RBR40 but the satellites are RBS20's. I assume it would still be best to migrate to the RBR50?

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@bosdub wrote:

Lo and behold... my Orbi router is actually an RBR40 but the satellites are RBS20's. I assume it would still be best to migrate to the RBR50?

Yes, replacing the RBR40 with the RBR50 will allow the RBS50 backhaul link to run at the maximum speed it can achieve (given the distance and building materials between the units).  The theoretical maximum backhaul on the RBR-RBS50 link is 1,733Mbps vs the maximum theoretical speed of 855Mbps on the RBR40-RBS50 backhaul.  Neither will achieve those speeds in actual use.

Are you likely to notice a significant difference in performance?  I doubt it.

But, what else will you do with the RBR50?  Sell it?  Use it as a paperweight?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7