Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mini ups for netgear orbi

MoePa
Guide

Mini ups for netgear orbi

Good day.

I get frequent electricity cuts where I live which last 2 to 2.5 hours. I want to buy a netgear orbi and connect it upto a mini ups. 

Will this defice connect to one it is 9V with 2A output.

I believe orbi uses 3.5A.

link for one of the miniups:

https://www.geewiz.co.za/ups/68269-mini-ups-12v-2a-3700mah-backup-battery-power-bank-supply-b315-b61...

If not can anyone recommend one that is compatable. Prefer mini ups as take less space.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Mini ups for netgear orbi

In addition to needing 3.5 amps @ 12 volts, the connector has to be identical, i.e. center pin is positive and outside is negative and the correct physical dimensions. (5.5mm x 2.1mm, I think.)

Message 2 of 11
plemans
Guru

so if you have power outages that last roughly 2.5 hours and you need to power an orbi plus I assume a modem as a router does no good without a modem to provide internet. At the high end thats roughly 105 watts power (3.5amp * 12 volt *2.5 hours) over that period for the router. Not sure what your running for a modem but if you figure a CM1000 which would require 75 watts over that same period (2.5amp * 12 volt * 2.5 hours). that puts you at needing roughly 180 watts of power. You'd be better to buy a small sized full UPS to run your modem and router during these periods. Amazon basics sells a 255 watt back up power supply that'd meet your needs and its $40. Might be worth going that route and not having to worry about splicing cables or other issues with using a 12v power supply backup.  Even if you don't need a modem, a decent small ups that hooks up via the standard plug is probably a good idea anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Standby-UPS-400VA-Outlets/dp/B073Q48Z95/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=ups+...

Just my thoughts. 

Message 3 of 11
MoePa
Guide

Firstly thanks for your reply.

firstly I would like to correct my post orbi uses 12v not 9v which is the same as the mini ups.

My issue with a ups is that that my fiber modem and router are in the lounge and I do not have much space to keep it, I also have a toddller who thinks devices are her toys, ups also make a beeping noise which gets annoying and they use modified sine wave(the cheaper unit) which I’m afraid to use on the expensive orbi for fear of reducing its lifespan.

The mini ups is using lithium batteries and tand is rated to keep a 12v2A device on for 5 hours. I think it is also superior as its using dc power with the same voltage vs a ups 12v- 220v back down 12v

Message 4 of 11
MoePa
Guide

Thanks this is a good point

Message 5 of 11
MoePa
Guide

The device I’m planning to get has the cable to connect to the modem so no need to splice. See the picture.

Message 6 of 11
MoePa
Guide

The decice does 12v2A for 5 hours.

modem uses 0.5A therefore 

3.5+0.5 therfore in theory should last 2.5hrs

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

Problem is that devices maxes out at 2amp. It'd theoretically be fine for a 0.5amp modem but not the orbi.

In terms of the modified sine wave.  There's quite a few reviews showing them hooked to computer/routers/modems without issues. I wouldn't worry about it. I've also got one hooked to an orbi for brief flickers of power I get and I haven't had an issue. 

Size could get to be an issue but you'd need several of your devices to run modem and router, would a couple of those inline be better or devising a way to hide this? Not saying you had to use that specific one, I was just thinking it easier to build something like these into an end table or attach to the back of a desk and use. If you have your mind set on the mini inline ups, give it a shot. Just keep in mind how much the device can output since you need one that outputs at least 3.5 amp.

the kid issue....it gets better. good luck 🙂

Hope this helps. If you do go the inline route, let me know how it works. I'm curious for my own sake. 

Message 8 of 11
MoePa
Guide

Thank you for your reply.
Sadly you have confirmed what I suspected about the devices using 2A and being underpowered.
I will likely run a cheaper router that uses <2A between modem and current router(apple extreme which does not support mini ups) , unfortunately that may mean my mobile devices may sometimes choose this network instead of the apple extreme.

I was looking for an excuse to change to the Orbi and the ability to use it with a miniups was one of the main factors to buy it as my current router works fine.
Message 9 of 11
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Interesting thread, and thanks for pointing out the existance of a mini-UPS.

We too have to protect against intermittent power outages and so I've had to invest in several UPS.  My RBR50 and RBS50 are both connected to UPS.  One of the bigger features of the device is the integrated Ethernet ports in the satellite.  The UPS feeds several boxes in both installations so no need to buy specialty single application box like that.  

The 2.5hr outages though I'm sure are a drag.  

Cheers

Message 10 of 11
MoePa
Guide

Thank you for your feedback. The rolling blackouts known as loadshedding causes havok on the roads with the traffic lights not working.

They surely are a drag, Fortunately ipads can still provide entertainment in the dark.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7