Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MoCA taking down network

Jimbronie
Aspirant

MoCA taking down network

Hi all,
I have a general question. I have the rbk40 set. Love it.

The one satellite is in my basement. I have some retro computers down there that use an esp232 Wi-Fi “modem”.

I was experiencing some connectivity issues with the little Wi-Fi modem. So I moved my satellite to resolve the issue. As far as the other wifi devices down there the move helped but my wifi modem was still having some issues.

My plan was to run Ethernet from the basement to the family room where the modem and router are located. The only thing that held me back was that I need to run an Ethernet cable all the way around the family room to the other side where the modem and router are located. I already have the cable modem cable and phone cables running there so I was not up to dealing with it at this point in time.

So, being a former TiVo subscriber I knew of MoCA. So I figured I would give MoCA adapters a shot to connect the basement satellite to the router.

It seems to work pretty well. However, I have noticed that if anything happens to the MoCA adapters (I.e moving them, rebooting them, etc) the entire network becomes unresponsive until the MoCAs get settled down.

My bedroom and living room satellites are connected wirelessly. Is this an Orbi thing that takes the whole network down when “wired” connection is interrupted? Or is this the MoCA adapters somehow taking over the router?

I have the hitron 2.5 MoCA adapters connected to the router and the basement satellite.

Thanks for any info.
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: MoCA taking down network

If the adapters are "acting up" it could be causing a loop. A loop of the router/satellites going back and forth between hardwired backhaul and fronthaul. Once the moca adapter works properly, it settles it down. That's what I'd be suspecting. 

Message 2 of 3
Jimbronie
Aspirant

Re: MoCA taking down network

Thanks. I figured it was a combo. I don’t think there is a way of totally turning off Wi-Fi backhaul on that particular satellite. I get the feeling that might help but I don’t think that is an option, at least not on my model.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7