Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Multilogin notice requiring reentering password constantly

studdawg
Aspirant

Multilogin notice requiring reentering password constantly

Ok, started a new thread.  I have an RBR50 with an RBS50 and RBS20.  The app works fine but when I use the browser GUI, I can get one or two mins of work done and then I get the pop up saying that I am logged in with another device and do I want to logout the other device to continue.  I am prompted for my password.  Sometimes twice in a row.  Once I enter it, I return to the overview tab of the network and any work I was doing is lost.  Any ideas?  This has been going on for some time.  Here's what I have done to address:

1) Updated firmware (running latest 2.5.1.8)

2) Reset the system and started over

3) On the app, turned off the "remember me" button on the login

4) Logged out of the app

5) Disconnected the router from the web and see the same issue

Anything else that I'm missing?  It makes it very hard to do much administration on the router.

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
studdawg
Aspirant

Oh, and it is connected to a surfboard 6183

Message 2 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

The "app" and a browser from a different device have different IP addresses, and the Orbi will detect that.  I believe the app can connect to the Orbi two ways: on the local WiFi or via the internet "cloud".

How about this. TURN OFF the device which the app is running on and work on the Orbi using the web interface.

Please note that one annoying feature of the web interface "Attached Devices" page (which you may be using) is that it pops up the login box periodically.  I compensate for this by having my web browser remembe the Orbi password so all I have to do is hit enter.

It is "super annoying" when I have multiple windows open in the browser (such as right now).  I am busy typing a post for the Orbi user forum and forget that Attached Devices is open in another window.  That window pops up while I am typing and I type over "admin".

Message 3 of 11
studdawg
Aspirant

Thanks.  I thought your solution was working but just got the popup.  My iphone was off before I logged in.  Sigh...

Message 4 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@studdawg wrote:

Thanks.  I thought your solution was working but just got the popup.  My iphone was off before I logged in.  Sigh...

Please confirm, which popup?  There are two: (1) the Attached Devices page wanting to authenticate every few minutes, and (2) a notice that another device is connected and should it be dropped or not.

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

I just now timed my Orbi Attached Devices page.  Orbi pops up a request to authenticate every 5 minutes.  (I sat through two with a stopwatch running on my phone.  Any more and I would have gone into a trance.) Hmmm.  There is probably a timer set to 300 seconds buried somewhere in the Orbi parameter file.  I'll look.......

Message 6 of 11
studdawg
Aspirant

It's the second one: another device.  I do have a firewalla on it.  Could that be it?  It is supposed to only review traffic not be connected so i'm reluctant to think that could be the problem.  Today I had fewer interruptions from this but last night it was unusable.

Message 7 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

My Orbi log shows every admin login.  For example, I just now logged into the Orbi from my smartphone (192.168.1.19) and then attempted to connect from my desktop (192.168.1.2).  Orbi gave the message about being already logged in, and I said to continue.  Here's what shows in the log:

[admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Sunday, March 29, 2020 13:07:03
[admin login] from source 192.168.1.19, Sunday, March 29, 2020 13:06:22

Orbi logs are in the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Administration, Logs

Does your Orbi log show more than one device logging in?

Message 8 of 11
studdawg
Aspirant

That's a good suggestion.  I went and looked.  Everytime that I have to enter the multilogin driven password, it doesn't record that as a login.  It also doesn't seem to record app related logins as a login?  I don't see them.  The only logins I see are from my desktop, which is where I am seeing this issue. 

So for fun, I logged in from my desktop, then my app so they should be competing.  It did kick me out but it did not show the login from the app...weird.  Today has been less "buggy" (for lack of a better term).  Maybe it takes a little while for the app to be forgotten as logged in by the router?  I dunno...

Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

You may be on to something.  Those "every five minutes" authentications are not shown as "logins" (I guess because I am already logged in and this is the same IP address.)

My guess is the app is "special".  In a technical sense, the app does not actually "log in to the web interface". It connects to "something else". (would be a hoot to know what).

I am not exactly a fan of the Orbi app.  Thus far, I have found exactly one feature on the app that is more convenient than the web interface:  clicking on a device shows the "Link Rate" the Orbi has with the device.  The Orbi web interface has those stupid "bars" like on cell phones - worthless.  In contrast, it appears there are scores of ways in which the app is a disappointment.

I swear they are different development teams that never speak to each other.

Message 10 of 11
studdawg
Aspirant

Thanks for checking and your help.  I hate the app.  You can't do much of anything on there, which makes it that much more frustrating when the browser interface isn't working as it should...

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7