Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Must disable 5g in order to connect a new smart switch

jcsorbi
Follower

Must disable 5g in order to connect a new smart switch

Just installed a Moe's smart switch and cannot connect to it.  The instructions say I must disable the 5G aspect of my wifi but I don't seem to be able to do so.  I logged into the Orbi (rbr50) and went to advanced setup and looked for "Enable SSID Broadcast " on the 5G network in order to uncheck it but this box is not present.  How can I turn off 5G to connect the switch?

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Must disable 5g in order to connect a new smart switch

You can't. 

The best option would be to turn OFF all RBS. Then change the power output of the 5Ghz radio to 25%. Then connect your mobile device at a distance from the RBR to ensure the mobile phone keeps connected to the 2.4Ghz radio. After you get the IoT device connected, re-configure the system back to where it was. 
Be sure that 20/40 MHz Coexistence enabled.

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Must disable 5g in order to connect a new smart switch

@jcsorbi wrote:

Just installed a Moe's smart switch and cannot connect to it.  The instructions say I must disable the 5G aspect of my wifi but I don't seem to be able to do so.  I logged into the Orbi (rbr50) and went to advanced setup and looked for "Enable SSID Broadcast " on the 5G network in order to uncheck it but this box is not present.  How can I turn off 5G to connect the switch?

Two comments:

Which smart switch is this? (exactly. Moes sells a bunch of switches)

There is no method to "turn off" the 5G radio, but the original Orbi RBR50 still has the capability to disable broadcasting the WiFi SSID:

CrimpOn_0-1675796845183.png

5G WiFi presents no problem to the actual switch because the switch has an inexpensive (i.e. cheap) radio chip that works only with 2.4G WiFi.  The switch has no idea that 5G WiFi exists, just as it cannot tune into FM radio broadcasts, or talk to common cordless phones.  The problem is the app that is used to configure is poorly written.  When the smartphone running the app is connected to WiFi at 5G, whoever wrote the app assumed this would interfere with setup and programmed the app to go bonkers, when he should have just gone ahead and set up the device.  Once the device has joined the WiFi network (at 2.4G because that's the only thing it can do) it will work just fine even if the smartphone is connected at 5G because they communicate through the network, not directly with each other.

Since you have this specific Orbi router (RBR50), you can do the following:

• Use the web interface to clear "Enable SSID Broadcast" for the 5GHz WiFi.
  • Select "Apply"
  • On the smartphone running the app, go into Network Settings and "Forget" the Orbi.
  • When the list of available WiFi networks comes up again, Select the Orbi WiFi, enter the password, and Connect.
  • Open the smartphone app and configure the device.
  • After the device is working, go back to the Orbi interface, Enable Broadcast SSID, "Apply"
  • Then, "Forget" the Orbi and connect up to it again.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7